Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hiding cgi code for webhost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oostwijk

Technical User
Oct 19, 2003
NL
Is there a way to hide the cgi code for my webhost ?
I'm affraid he's gonna steal my code. I worked days to scribe the code.

I'm on a win98 machine and upload my cgi-script to my webhost which is an Unix machine.

A friend told me that it isn't possible to execute windows based exe files on an unix machine, otherwise I could use par to compile the cgi-script to an exe file.

I know I can set up my own webserver, but I need to have my pc on for day and night.. which isn't a solution for me.

I hope someone can help me...

Dont think so.

Although I dont think that I would be buying webhosting from someone you dont trust.

I dont think that I would ever look at anything of my clients' unless it was causing problems. And even then it would be just to disable it and send some information to the client about the problem.

Maybe I am just ethical or something, but I would never seal someone elses code, especially somebody who is paying me for a service..eg webhosting.

Has this been a problem in the past or are you just a worry wart?

Robert Carpenter
--------------------
"Isn't it funny how you are perfectly content with being alone until nobody else is?"
--------------------
robert@convertingchaos.com
convertingchaos.com

I'm a worry wart ;)

I spent a lot of my free time in the script. No comparible script is available on the internet, and I'm affraid the webhost is going to steal it and use a copy for it's own use.

I see. Well, for that there is no cure.

If I might inquire, what is it that your script does?

Robert Carpenter
--------------------
"Isn't it funny how you are perfectly content with being alone until nobody else is?"
--------------------
convertingchaos.com

It's a search engine, which is better, faster and gives better results as Google.

Yep, I also work for a webhost company. They could look at your code if they liked, but believe me I am sure they won't. Only if you ask them to that is.

Oostwijk where do you live and which web hosting company are you using?

Another thought....if your code is really unique, apply for an official copyright, so that you have proof that you are the first to do it that way. Might cost you some money, but then you could win a lawsuit against someone who stole your code.

Robert Carpenter
--------------------
--------------------
convertingchaos.com

Oostwijk: "No comparible script is available on the internet"

theEclipse: "What is it that your script does?"

Oostwijk: "It's a search engine"

[rofl]

If it really is "better, faster and gives better results as Google" you should be selling it, not hiding it. Is there a URL where we can try this giant among search engines?

-- Chris Hunt

Trust me, I am a webhost, I have better things to do then look at my clients installed files.

Unless those files mess up the systems or hurt the network i could care less.

And yea, if its 'better then google' it should be making you revenue OR opensourced for the world to enjoy.

I'd LOVE to see a URL of this, always looking for a better search engine.

ok, if there isn't a way to protect my code I'll apply for an official copyright.

The website isn't online yet, It's almost done and I'm making some minor adjustments to it with perlwiz. (A great tool !). The search-engine isn't online yet.

By the way, I've got my eyes set on a domain name which belongs to someone else right now, but I think that owner doesn't want the domainname any more. So I hope it will be mine within three months.

I think my webhost is gonna be hypermart. I've had a free account on hypermart before, and I liked it.

I'm thinking of selling the source code, but I need to finish the code first. Though I doubt Google would buy it, they think they are so great. Perhaps an other major search engine, like Yahoo or Altavista. Oh well, I'll see in a couple of weeks.

Its amazing that a search engine better then google can be not only hosted at hypermart but also adjusted using perlwiz.

What is google thinking with all those PhD's! The internet is amazing.

I think we all look forward to using your new tool!

I worked days to scribe the code

If you can create a search script better than Google in days, I've always got a position open for you in my company. [lol]

Hope this helps

Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Hey Wullie,

If you want I can write some scripts for you. I've worked as a freelance programmer before. Send me an e-mail with a description what you want to have and I'll name you a price.
I'll not design a complete search engine for you though ;)

By the way does someone know where I can fetch a official copyright for my scripts ?

patent copyright and tm office

Robert Carpenter
--------------------
--------------------
convertingchaos.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back