Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hide values where input has not been entered EXCEL 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pccoordinator

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2000
US
Office 2003: I want to hide values in a cell that has no numbers in the cells it is pulling the formulas from.

I have a calculation "=B8+(1.6*(B14-100)/100)" that shows a value "-1.6" when no input has bee put in cells B8 or B14. I want the cell to show nothing if BOTH B8 and B14 have no numbers in them.

Hi,

You don't want to HIDE anything. That term is used to hide a column or row.
[tt]
=if(isblank(B8+(1.6*(B14-100)/100)),"",B8+(1.6*(B14-100)/100))
[/tt]
:)

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq222-2244

Thanks Skip,

For some reason the statement you gave me had no effect on the value displaying in the cell. I'm not sure what happened I cut and pasted it right from the this site??

try this
[tt]
=IF(OR(ISBLANK(B8),ISBLANK(B14)),"",B8+(1.6*(B14-100)/100))
[/tt]

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq222-2244

Hi Pccoordinator,

make up your mind, 'cos you said ...

I have a calculation "=B8+(1.6*(B14-100)/100)" that shows a value "-1.6" when no input has bee put in cells B8 or B14. I want the cell to show nothing if BOTH B8 and B14 have no numbers in them.

which says in one part of the quote "when no input has been put in cells B8 OR B14" , and then later you say "if BOTH B8 AND B14 have no numbers in them".

Now I'd guess that you mean the latter ( based on looking at your formula ), so try ...
Code:
=IF(AND(ISBLANK(B8),ISBLANK(B14)),"",B8+(1.6*(B14-100)/100))

Glenn.

GlenUK,

You were right in your assumption, however the statement did not work.

Thanks for your help though.

Please explain in PAINFUL DETAIL what you want to happen.

Skip,

I have a formula in cell F11 that takes data from B8 and B14.
This spreadsheet calculates per the formula and puts the end result in F11.

I don't want anything to show in cell F11 until both cells B8 and B14 had numbers in them.

[tt]
=IF(OR(ISBLANK(B8),ISBLANK(B14)),"",B8+(1.6*(B14-100)/100))
[/tt]

Skip,

Are you getting this formula to work on a spreadsheet of your own?

It is still putting -1.6 in the cell although the font seems different.

thanks

if either B8 or B14 is BLANK (NO SPACES)

if there is a ZERO 0 in each, you will get -1.6

Skip,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back