Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hide Mail Group Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

saywho527

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2005
US
I would like to create a mailing group, but I would like to disable the group name from being displayed in the TO: line. This would keep my users from doing mass emails to everyone in the system, but still allow me to send out the required notices. Any thoughts ?

Sorry, but if they use the group name, the mail will still be sent to everyone in it - thus I fail to see how you can avoid "mass emails".
The basic design of the Name & Address book does not allow for hiding group names. If a group is not supposed to be available to everyone, then the users that need it should have it in their personal NAB. If you need to define a list for a mailing application only, you can always define a profile document for that application and maintain the list in the profile.

Pascal.

actually,

if you define the group in your private address book, nobody else can send a mass mail back because they do not have the same group defined ...

Juliane

The Private Address Book is a good answer, but I have 5 people that are all authorized to send emails to "all users" - If I create the "all users" for each person then we have to manage 6 groups (mine included) - we turn over an estimated 10 people per month - so you can see that the adds and subtracts could be a taunting task to keep up - so a single group has been the best answer - but our users see the "all users" group and we have had to deal with users doing their own "all users" emails (a garage sale this weekend to 1700 users, the boss is not happy) so Im looking for another ideal - hope the additional info helps

This is more a matter or educating the users than a failure in technology. I'm sure the garage sale is not going to happen again, hmm ?

In any case, you can restrict the All Users group to a specific number of users manually. Either create an agent to do the update, or edit the document and use the Document Properties dialog box to set access restrictions.
If you do so, be sure to include the LocalDomainServer group, as well as the admin group. You do not want to risk losing access to the document !

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back