Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hide last username whenusing mandatory profile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coleford

Technical User
May 9, 2003
GB
Hi Guys, can't seem to crack this one..

I'm trying to prevent the last logged-on username from being displayed on XP-Pro clients, running on a W2k Server network.

I am running one central Mandatory Profile for all users but despite tweaking the well-known reg keys.. the last-logged-on username re-appears after the next loggon.

I've tweaked the reg keys;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"DontDisplayLastUserName"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon]
"DefaultUserName"=""

..in both the Default User profile on the client machine and the Mandatory Profile.

I can't figure out where it is picking up the setting from that is re-enabling the &quot;DefaultUserName&quot;=&quot;<username>&quot; (this is the setting that changes after the next loggon).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

Coleford

Home > Security > Login and Authentication

Restrict Showing the Last Username (Windows 2000/XP)
This restriction removes the ability to view which user was last logged onto a computer by clearing the username box on the login screen.

This tweak can be easily applied using WinGuides Tweak Manager.
Download a free trial now!

Open your registry and find or create the key below.
Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called &quot;DontDisplayLastUserName&quot; and set it according to the value data below.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
DontDisplayLastUserName REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\...

Registry Settings
User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
Value Name: DontDisplayLastUserName
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (1 = remove username)

Note that they are DWORD values and not String values.

I have enabled these settings but the &quot;DefaultUserName&quot; entry becomes re-populated.

Where did you enable these settings? (eg, with a mandatory profile, I'd make it non-mandatory, log on using it, make my changes, log off, and then make it mandatory again. Sorry if this is obvious - I just wondered if you've made changes while profile still mandatory - so they've been lost).

The registry key populates, but it does not display.

As I said your original entries used String values for the registry key parameter. The values must be DWORD.

We run gpedit.msc, then go to Local Computer Policy, Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options, and then enable 'Do not display last user name in logon screen.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back