Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hide folders through AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom1603

Technical User
Jun 6, 2002
NO
In a W2k network, I want to hide sub folders for people who do not have access same. How can this be done throguh Active Directry ?

that's not done via policy, it's done with permissioning. You'll need to get quite granular with LIST rights...

Thanks B for yr reply.

Reason for asking is that I have previously seen the same quetion as follows:

I am wanting to hide sub folders for people who do not have access etc, at the moment all I can work out is it lists the folder but does not let you in.
I do not want the denied people to be able to see that it exists at all.

whereby someone came back with following explanation:

Very easy. If you are using W2K active directory, great a group policy that sets permissions on the folder you wish to share. Then create an OU for the group you want to have access to the folder. Next drop the users with permissions to access the folder in that OU. When you create the policy be sure to select that you enable the option to hide the folder and deny options. That should work.

I tried this out but I'm not getting anywhere. Do you say that it is not possible to do it as described above ?

Tom

I may be misunderstanding that post, but let me say this:
Group Policy is not used to set File/Directory permissions on member servers. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back