Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hide Domain - logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

tebbisch

Instructor
May 31, 2004
MY
I have recently moved all AD users to a new domain and would like to stop all clients and students seeing the old domain in the logon dialogue box i.e. I want to force the client/students to logon onto the new domain. I do not want to terminate the old domain until the during the school vacation.

Thanks in advance.

Just disable all user accounts in the old domain....

Many thanks for your suggestion. But I wish to hide the old domain i.e. so that students do not see the domain in the W2K welcome/dialogue box.

You can prevent the name being displayed by using a registry setting. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVerion\Winlogon. Under there you will find various entries relating to the Default Domain and the user name. If you change the entry for DontDisplayLastUserName from a 0 (zero) to a 1 (one) then the user name will not be displayed. I would suggest that you backup this part of the registry before making any changes.

Many thanks again, but I wish to hide the domain not the user. Any help would be appreciated as the students keep trying to use the old domain.

Have you tried changing the ip addresses of the old domain to another subnet.....
In effect seperating the two domains....

I have experienced the same issue at my site, however, I have been told by pretty much all the experts I know that it is impossible if your old NT Domain is Trusted by the AD Domain. If you remove the trust, then you should be ok.

Also, please remember to check out what removing a trust will do to your Domains... removing a Trust is not for the light hearted, unless the removed domain is no longer used. (You could always re-add the trust later.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back