Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hide database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xq

Programmer
Jun 26, 2002
NL
is there a way to hide database when it is logged in by some certain people, they can only see and use the userform that i've written, nothing else can be see, like tables , macros, neither of code behide of userform. thanks million if anyone could give me a hint!

Hello XQ ...

Once the database window is visible ..

Click on Tools ... Startup and you can see the options available ... select a form to open ... unflag the 'Display Database Window' ... Name the application ... etc... etc..

Hope that helps ...

Tiny
Perfection is Everything
If it worked first time we wont be here!

thanks a lot, but there's another thing, is there a way of preventing some certain users to unhide the database, they r not supposed to see, to change or update anything which is hidden. thank u!

It seems as if you need to activate the security system on your application.
In general, the overal structure is as follows:
1.) Frontend in MDE format with MDW file
2.) Backend in MDB format with MDW file
3.) Tables accessed via Queries exclusively (with Owneraccess option activated).

Be sure to understand how these components work together, in particular read the MS white paper on security as well as the security related articles in the ACCESS Online Encyclopedia (

sorry, Francescina, i'm still not very clear.
i'm going to set up two types of users, one type of users just like full mission of users, they can do anything as they want. and the other type of users r only allowed to use the user-form provided to input data, and update table. they r not allowed and would not be able to go into the tables, modules etc to change anything behind, so i was thinking to hide the the database window, as they still can unhide them, it doesn't really work. but the one u just said, Tables accessed via Queries exclusively (with Owneraccess option activated). will that allow the full permission user to change anything behind form?
thank you!

Your "full permission user" will be able to change the data but not the table's structure.

thanks, but, i have to set up the use to full data users who r supposed only use userform to update table. otherwise she's not able to run the userform, and once she is set up as full data users, she is still able to go into the database to delete or add some data in the tables. (with Owneraccess option is activated for all the querys) and i don't want this happen, how should i do? thanks very much!

You might also create a "prison" form that opens automatically and gives only access to certain options and once it is closed or minimized the application quits automatically.

Hi,
The best would be for you to convert it into a .mde file as this would prevent users from making unwanted changes to the database. But make sure that you have a backup of your Access database before you convert it into a .mde .Once you convert it into a mde, even you can't make changes to your db. Hope it helps. Let me know what happens.
With regards,
PGK

thanks pgk, but i don't think i'm gonna go for it, cos the owner of the database still want to have the ability to change stucture of database or other things.
and thank Francescina as well, i've turned on the security by user-level security wizard, two types of user, owner or not owner. but that is my problem, i don't know how to set up access options which prevent user who r not owner updating database in other way instead of through the form.
how to let them update database through the form only?
really really appreciate any help! thanks million!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back