Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hidden link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy128

Technical User
Oct 15, 2005
US
I was wondering if there is a way to make a link to another page hidden? For example- say I wanted to keep a page hidden from visitors unless I specifically wanted some one to see it. I could say to that person- go to my website and on the Audio page, click on the word "Greetings". This would be a much easier than setting a password for certain people. Let me know what you think and if there is a way to do it.

Thanks- Andy

PS- this is a great site!!!

The easist way to do what you're asking is to just give them a specific address. You can do this by e-mail or by just telling the person over the phone. Every accessible web page will have some address, even if it's not directly linked from some other page.

You could do what you want, but why bother?

smah-
yes, I know that I could tell them to add /whatever.html
to the web site address. But it would be much easier
to tell them to click on a specific word in a header or click on a small graphic than have them write down the extension. Additionaly- some people may not be savoy enough to know how to add /whatever.html (like my father for one). It is tough having setting up one web site to accomodate family/personal and work needs and keeping some things restricted to certain people. I am trying to accomplish this in as easy a method as possible.

So, is there a way to make a link where the word does not turn a different color and become underlined?

Andy

Hi

This way the browser must know the URL to request, so must be written in the HTTP source. If yus use JavaScrip, the URL may be "encrypted" somehow, but anyway, you must provide the decryptor too. There is no way to hide such things. A better try could be Flash, but for example Googlebot will extract the URL and will follow it.

[offtopic]
Against stupid users you can do something like this :
Code:
<h1 onclick="location=unescape('%68%65%6c%6c%6f%77%6f%72%6c%64%2e%68%74%6d%6c')">fake link to helloworld.html</h1>
For more please visit forum215 or forum216.
[/offtopic]

Feherke.

Ok- I really have no desire to hide the url. I would like to be able to make a link from say- a word in the header of a page, that links to another page. But I don't want that word be a visable link (i.e.- that is underlined and changes color). I could just say to someone- go to my home page and click on the word "hello" in header. The word "hello" would not appear any different than any other word in the header and no one would suspect that it is a link to another page or website.

For example- ont his very page in the upper left there are several links (mouse overs) that are not underlined or color changed UNTIL the mouse moves over them. So- a mouse over link would be more or less what I am looking for. Ideally, I would like a similar link that does not change with a with a mouse over, but links you to another page when clicked on.

Hope that clarifies

Andy

Hi

Definitely my last post in this thread.
Code:
<a href="helloworld.html" style="color: black; text-decoration: none; cursor: text">camuflated link to helloworld.html</a>
Now, please go put this kind of questions in forum215.

Feherke.

feherke-
Your solution above worked fantastic- Thank you.
Be a little patient with us newbies. I was not aware
that there was a specific HTML forum. I just joined this
site and am not familiar with it.

Thanks again and have a great day.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back