Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hibernation Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundraswan

Technical User
Aug 23, 2002
GB
(first post) Hello, I like the hibernation option but recently it has not been functioning. Usually, if I decide to hibernate, windows saves the settings and shuts down. This problem occurs when resuming from hibernation. At the point just after the "Resuming Windows" progress bar reaches 100%, instead of taking me to the desktop all I get is a light blue screen, no mouse cursor (CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't work). If I reset the computer, windows realises there was an error resuming from hibernation and offers me a choice to try to resume again or delete the hibernation file and load windows normally. If I try to resume again the light blue screen reappears.

I think I installed Norton Utilities around the point where the problem arose, is this the problem? Is there any way of fixing Hibernation?

Thanks.

Hello and welcome. You picked a hard question to start off with, to which there is no easy solution. As you suspect, there may be a conflict with Norton and the Hibernation in XP.

Uninstalling Norton or switching Hibernation off might be your only options.

Perhaps you could try just disabling any actions Norton performs on Shut Down to see if that helps.

Thanks linney, thing is no error message appears during the resume, the computer just hangs (whilst displaying a light blue screen). Not until you power off the computer does it provide you the option of trying to resume again/starting XP normally.

Do you think any clues can be found in the event viewer?

It wont hurt to check your Event Viewer to see if any application error mentions "hang".

Have you got this update loaded?

If your clutching at straws you might like to spend time here.

Hi

Just some observations, having noticed this thread...

I recently activated Hibernation (and yes, I have N. Systemworks) since it seems a convenient alternative to powering on and off umpteen times a day.

I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't go into hibernate, sometimes it does... There doesn't seem to be a rationale to it. Once or twice it has resumed from hibernation and the mouse has been lost or other odd things have happened (though infrequently).

Doesn't seem to be a very clean package.... Anyway, you're not alone.

K

The hibernation option was intended only for laptops this feature will ultimately fail when used on desktops.

That's the impression one gets, yes. But there's no real reason I can see why that should be.

It can be a very convenient feature, energy-wise, on desktops, if it would only work as claimed....

K

Yeah, thanks everyone. I had already applied that particular hotfix you suggested linney, thanks anyway. I don't think the people on google have exactly the same problem, but I'm not too bothered now as I'm upgrading soon so I'll have a second chance with the new desktop I'm building.

Hello world :)

I am having problems with my Windows XP Home Edition
system periodically (systematically, really) hanging
during hibernation. It would display the "please wait"
screen, and stay there indefinitely, with no disk
activity. Now, I tend to link this behavior to my NIC
cards (I have a multihomed system) b/c when this happens,
it usually suffices for me to spend 30 mins or so
removing/reinstalling NIC devices from/to Device Manager,
and for a limited time only, hibernation miraculously
starts working again. But then, it is enough for the PC to
stay on for about 30 mins or so, and the problems with