Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hibernation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevepaff

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2002
GB
I have 3 laptops all running windows 2000 pro. When logged on as administrator I can alter the power settings to what I want them to be.

If a domain user logs onto this laptop, it is always st to portable which is not wanted, if we try to change the settings for the power settings it will not let us and gives the error power policy manager unable to set active policies.

The problem is that when the laptop goes into hibernation the only way of getting the laptop working again is to physically turn the machine off and back on again.

I have searched but cannot find any policy to do with power settings.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
Steve

Depending on what model laptop you have, the company might have a patch for the problem of waking up from hibernation mode. If you could provide us w/ the make & model, that would help. In the meantime, you could give the domain user admin rights just to change the power settings, then put them back as power users.

The model of the laptop is a sony vaio fx501. I have tried to phone them and ask them about it but they said because they supplied the laptop with xp home, they won`t support windows 2000 on it.

thanks
steve

Some of our Compaq laptops have the ability to disable the hibernation support in the Bios. Have you checked there to see if that is an option.

Another way to do this from in windows is to go to the control panel, hold shift and right click on power management, then click on Run as. This will let you change the settings with either a local administrator account or a domain account that has administrator rights to the laptop.
---------------------------------------
A+ Certified
Microsoft Certified Proffesional
---------------------------------------

Thanks to you all for the help.

I ended up changing the user to become an administrator temporarily, but now I know about the shift-right click option I will be using that method, although I would have prefered to have set the permissions so that the local user could change them as they liked but still cannot find the system permission to set this option.

Thanks again
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back