Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi One of my servers has the d d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helfenmir

MIS
Sep 17, 2001
GB
Hi

One of my servers has the d drive shared but going into the security tab it tells me I have only rights to view (I don't mean the default share permissions tab) I mean the security tab on the top right. I tryed taking ownership but it won't allow me to, says I do not have rights. The only group in there is the 'everyone' group with FULL Control.

Any help again would be great.

Thanks
Helfenmir

Are you logged in as an administrator, or a user?
Have you tried running chkdsk? [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Thanks dhawthorn

Logged in as a the administrator of the domain. Have tried logging in as local machine administrator, either way I can't take over ownership.

Have not tried chkdsk, but thougt about trying to set up a separate share to see if that will allow me access.

Helfenmir

One thing you may want to try first is adding the "administrator" to the permissions first. Click on the "permissions" tab, add "Administrator" as "full Control", click on "Replace Permissions on Subdirectories", reply "yes" to any messages that come up. Once this is accomplished try taking ownership.

If the domain administrator (or the administrator of the box) can't take ownership of a file, then there is an issue... The Administrator should be able to take ownership of any file/folder, even if they are explicity set to be denied access.

Running chkdsk /f <drive letter>: will check the security descriptors, as well as check for other errors, and may help to correct the problem you're having. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Just a thought, when you go to the security tab, are you accessing the files/folders via the shared folder, or directly via the console?

If the share has &quot;Read Only&quot; access, you might have difficulty in changing the permissions. Try modifying the access rights at the console instead. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Dhawthorn,

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I have had issues where I could not take ownership. And as I listed above the steps I took to resolve. Running a chkdsk in my opinion is something you do not have to do. Let him try my steps that I listed before you over-rule me.

Hi all

Zoeythecat; I don't have any access on the permissions tab as local admin or domain admin, so I am unable to add anytnig as it is all greyed out.

dhawthorn; Yes I am on the console everthing possible at ny disposal. Haven't tried the fdisk yet I thought that would only allow me to change lost links in file chains to a file. Does it also allow me to fix a security problem.

Just so you both know all the sub directories are fine and all the users are using there data within the given groups OK. The problem is I have no control over the D drive at the top level.

Thanks all for your help, any more ideas welcome. I come up with the answer I'll post it here.

Helfenmir

Can you give a better picture how the drive is shared out? Just trying to get a better idea on how the drive is shared. Is this a folder that is being shared on the d drive with subfolders beneath it? Where are you trying to access the folder? Are you right clicking on the head folder, and clicking on properties and this is where you are having problems seeing the permissions tab? How do you see this share over the network? Please give as much info on the share as you can.

zoeythecat; my appoligies, but I assure you I was not trying to overrule you. I was simply suggesting a possible alternative solution which may fix the problem.

Helfenmir; chkdsk! Don't use fdisk or you'll lose everything :). [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Dhawthorn,

No offense taken. Just wondering how Chkdsk plays into this though? Chkdsk is to check for file and system corruption. I'm not sure that plays into this situation. Just curious your thoughts on how running a chkdsk would solve this problem?

I think Helfenmics original thought, &quot;but thougt about trying to set up a separate share to see if that will allow me access&quot; would be a possibility. Or removing the share and recreating the share with the proper permissions added should allow him to get back into the share.

We are talking about a simple folder share not file corruption.

if you have any win2k stations, or nt ones, log in as a domain admin on the station then go to \\servername\d$ and right click and press properties, the click secrity and try adding admin full controll there.

HTH Marc Turner
Network Manager

E-Mail: Mturner@turnerm3.fsnet.co.uk

zoeythecat: as part of a chkdsk, it will check security descriptors on an NTFS partition. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

If your talking about IPC share ( the default windows sharing of your physical hardrives) then you don't have access to the permissions tab of the share(under server manager) If you wanna stop sharing it then there is a reg hack for it, but its location escapes me. Try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back