Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hi Im setting up a domain in win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

sideswipe

Technical User
Oct 2, 2000
GB
hi
Im setting up a domain in win2k and am currently setting up dns and active directory. The books i have show it sets up the domain name as eg microsoft.com yet when i set it all up it sets up as conquest.conquestfoods.com. The conquest bit is my domain (old workgroup name) and the conquestfoods bit is the web site thingy. Should it be set up as just conquestfoods.com. what effect will the extra conquest. bit have. Is that a child domain. Im stuck.

I want my users to log onto the domain which is conquest and i dont want them to log onto the internet domain conquestfoods.com. This is meant to be simple. does this make sense.

regards
dan

i've worked something out now that if you use the configure your server tool then it forces you to enter a domain name and the domain name given by your internet people thus i get conquest.conquestfoods.com.

if i use the dcpromo.exe (active directory installation wizard) then it only asks for the DNS name and i end up with just conquestfoods.com.

What is the best way to go and why do the different ways give different results. seems very odd.

I'm not gonna be a public domain but im just planning for the future.

Any ideas much appreciated
regards
dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back