Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi !!! Im new with linux i can'

Status
Not open for further replies.

highway54

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2001
PH
Hi !!!

Im new with linux i can't go to etc/resolv.conf every time i type resolv.conf i got this message bash: resolv.conf: command not found....addition to this im a root user but i can't run this command...thanks for the help

highway54,

/etc/resolv.conf is not an executable/binary file, it is a config file. One of the first things you need to learn is when you su to root, you need to use the - or you do not get root's profiles to load. ie: su -

If you want to see what is in that file, you can use several commands, cat /etc/resolv.conf being one, you could replace cat with many other viewing utilities such as more, less, etc.

A usefull way to find out what type of file you are looking at is with the command file, you could: file /etc/resolv.conf and it would return and let you know it was a config file.

A good site to help you learn is search the how-to's there are even intro to linux howto's

Good luck..

/etc/resolv.conf is not a binary executable.use cat to see the contents file.Normally it contents the domain name to search and ip of your name server.You can use vi-editor to edit it.Thankyou

Devendra Kelkar
RH133/RH253(redhat-8)

highway5, the /etc/resolv.conf file is simple text file. To edit this file, use a text editor such as vi.

Whenever your not sure what type a file is, whether it be a text file, binary, or whatever, use the "file" command.

[root@rhas root]# file /etc/resolv.conf
/etc/resolv.conf: ASCII text

ChrisP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back