Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, I'm new to javascript and I

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonBerry

Technical User
Jun 28, 2001
US
Hi,

I'm new to javascript and I am having trouble with a function to set the value of a text type input in a form. The problem I'm having is the name of the text input is in a variable and I don't know how to use that variable correctly in the access sting ie
document.myform.mytext(this is in a variable).value=whatever
Can someone point me in the right direction?
TIA,
Don

document.getElementById(this is in a variable)
document.getElementsbyName(this is in a variable)

Thanks for the reply it may help but thats for tomarrow! but I posted my question incorrectly what I really ment and didn't type is this:
I'm new to javascript and I am having trouble with a function to get the value of a text-type input in a form. The problem I'm having is the name of the text input is in a variable and I don't know how to use that variable correctly in the access sting ie
whatever=document.myform.mytext(the name mytext is in a variable).value
TIA,
Don

Well let me try one more time its really late here!
I am having trouble with a javascript function to get the value of a text-type input in a form. The problem I'm having is the "name" of the text input is in a variable this same function retreived from another eliment of the form and I don't know how to use that variable correctly in the access sting ie
whatever=document.myform.mytext(the "name" mytext is in a variable).value
TIA,
Don

Try this. I'm assuming that your text boxes are generated from an array, so this should tie in quite well with what you've already done.

<script>
function check(n){
alert(document.myform.elements[n].value)
}
</script>

<form name=myform>
Text Box 1: <input type=&quot;text&quot; name=&quot;test1&quot; value=&quot;Eeny&quot;><br>
Text Box 2: <input type=&quot;text&quot; name=&quot;test2&quot; value=&quot;Meeny&quot;><br>
Text Box 3: <input type=&quot;text&quot; name=&quot;test3&quot; value=&quot;Miney&quot;><br>
Text Box 4: <input type=&quot;text&quot; name=&quot;test4&quot; value=&quot;Mo&quot;><br>
</form><br>

<input type=&quot;button&quot; value=&quot;What's in Text Box 1?&quot; onclick=&quot;check(0)&quot;><br>
<input type=&quot;button&quot; value=&quot;What's in Text Box 2?&quot; onclick=&quot;check(1)&quot;><br>
<input type=&quot;button&quot; value=&quot;What's in Text Box 3?&quot; onclick=&quot;check(2)&quot;><br>
<input type=&quot;button&quot; value=&quot;What's in Text Box 4?&quot; onclick=&quot;check(3)&quot;><br>

Phil

getElementById will retreive one element (textbox or select or div or whatever element has the id)
getElementsByName retreives an array of elements.
Here is some sample code:
<script>
function getValById(strID){
objectTextBox = document.getElementById(strID);
alert(objectTextBox.value)
}
function getValByName(strName){
objectTextBox = document.getElementsByName(strName);
var i = 0;
while(i<objectTextBox.length){
alert(objectTextBox[ i ].value);
i++;
}
}
</script>
<input type=text id='mytextID' name='mytextName' value=&quot;hope you get it now&quot;>
<input type=text id='mytext2ID' name='mytextName' value=&quot;it's late maybe you should get some sleep&quot;>
<input type=button value=&quot;get value of the text by id&quot; onclick=getValById('mytextID')>
<input type=button value=&quot;get value of the text by name&quot; onclick=&quot;getValByName('mytextName');&quot;>

<script type=&quot;text/javascript&quot;>
<!--Javascript to Handle OnChange Event of Select Box
function getprintid()
{
option=document.forms.artcart.printstyle.options[document.forms.artcart.printstyle.selectedIndex].value
namehidden=option
//price=document.artcart.[namehidden].value
document.forms.artcart.PrintPrice.value=namehidden
}
//-->
</script>

The above is the code I'm working with. It is some code I got off a javascript site and I'm trying to modify to fit my needs, probably not the best approach but like I said I know almost nothing about java script. printstyle is an option box populated by some ASP code. The &quot;value&quot; of a selected object is a numeric text string that points to a specific artist's print in a data base. At the same time the select is populated, a group of hidden inputs are created with a name = to that option's &quot;value&quot; and a &quot;value&quot; = to the print's price. When the selection changes in the option box, my function is called and retrieves the &quot;value&quot; of the current selection in varible namehidden which is also the name of a hidden input I want to extract the price from and disply in a text input named PrintPrice. The code as shown will dispay the &quot;value&quot; of the select option in PrintPrice fine but when I try to add the step that is commented out and change namehidden in the last line of code to price, I get nothing in my PrintPrice text box.

Don

function getprintid()
{
option=document.forms.artcart.printstyle.options[document.forms.artcart.printstyle.selectedIndex].value
namehidden=option
price=document.getElementById(namehidden).value
//or
price=document.getElementsByName[0].value
document.forms.artcart.PrintPrice.value=namehidden
}
//-->
</script>

harmmeijer,

Thanks your code works for me. I'm not sure I totally understand it but as long as it works!! For some reason I was under the impression the name property and the id property were totally different but that seems not to be the case. When I get some time, I guess I'll have to try to get up to speed on javascript. I used your first example. In the second example would the 0 in the brackets have to be changed to represent the number of the form you're trying to access (presuming you'd have a clue what that was in a page with numerous forms). Just curious.

Don

The id of an object should be unique, the name of an object does not have to be unique. So getElementById should return 1 element and getElementsByName returns an array of elements.

Actually if you have 2 elements with the same id (not wise but it's possible) getElementById will allso return an array of elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back