Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, I'm looking to get into java p

Status
Not open for further replies.

finny

Programmer
Nov 16, 2000
US
Hi,
I'm looking to get into java programming and was hoping somebody could give me some info on how to get started. I guess what I'm looking for is what software do I need in order to learn the language and execute a program locally? Is there an area I can download a local web server(similar to MS PWS, hopefully websphere) as well as something simalar to MS Inderdev. Can you tell I only have microsoft experience?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx...finny

go to java.sun.com and start reading [wavey3]

like PWS == Tomcat (find it at apache.org)

like Interdev == Sun One Studio Community Edition ( also Eclipse)

-pete

Pete,
thx for the info...finny

"head first java" by kathy sierra is a great beginner book. I found no other. Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel is a must have java book if you work with java.

~za~
You can't bring back a dead thread!

> Can you tell I only have microsoft experience?

same here. I developed app using vb and other ms stuff for seven years! not anymore...;)

if you plan to go for the java cert later on, "cert" book by kathy sierra is the best. The exam is far from "a walk in the park' but that book helped me pass with flying colors.

~za~
You can't bring back a dead thread!

I really like "Just Java" by Peter van der Linden.

Also, I would recommend that you join the Cattle Drive on javaranch.com. ( Basically, it's a list of approximately 15 homeworks. Each homework is a little program. You write the code and when it runs, you send it to the nitpickers. If there's something wrong with it (doesn't follow coding conventions, could be more performant, etc) they send it back to you and give you hints about what to change, but they don't tell you how to fix it.

I'm going through it right now, and it's a great learning experience. It costs $US 200, but it's totally worth it.

Good luck!

Hi All,

Thx for the great tips. Definitely some reading to do...
finny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back