Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, Iam installing a C applicati

Status
Not open for further replies.

yasin007

Programmer
Oct 14, 2003
SG
Hi,

Iam installing a C application . While compiling the c files its give "Cannot open include file: 'strings.h': No such file or directory"

I have found that the error comes from the following declaration.

# ifdef HAVE_STRINGS_H
# include <strings.h>
# endif /* HAVE_STRINGS_H */

Can any one of you tell me , what is this cause of the problem . How to avoid this.

And what is the meaning of definition HAVE_TM_GMTOFF ?

Iam using Visualc++, 6.0 in windows environment .

Thanks,
Regards,
Yasin

strings.h is a non-standard file. The standard one is called string.h

So whatever you have done trying to build this code should have left HAVE_STRINGS_H as undefined, then the conditional compilation guard would have done its job and prevented you from including a file which doesn't exist.

> And what is the meaning of definition HAVE_TM_GMTOFF ?
All those HAVE_xxx macros are set by the configure script, the output of which is usually a file called config.h

They're meant to determine what your system is actually capable of and what it provides, so that the compiled code doesn't depend on features which are missing.

My guess is you've used the predefined config.h which is incorrect for use with vc++. You need to figure out how to run configure, or look to see if there is a config.h.vc file somewhere (which you should use to replace the existing config.h).

--

Useful Information Salem .

Thanks .

Regards,
Yasin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back