Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hi.. i want to know if anyone c

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCrewBoie

IS-IT--Management
Nov 18, 2003
US
hi..
i want to know if anyone could help me. my deparment is using tape drives running CA Arcserve 2000 as backup. we handle up 220 workstations running windows 2000 and some xp. our server are mainly 2000 and a couple 2003. we are looking for an alternative to our backup solution. A relatively simple NAS Backup solution backup setup. any help would greatly appreciated..i am looking the setup of the NAS setup, any suggestion to which vendor to get if also appreciated. but cost effective though..thanks in advance.....

NAS is not a backup solution, it is a Storage Solution. NAS is for Network Area Storage which is similar to NetApp, EMC, Iomega and so on.

You say you are looking for an alternate way for a backup solution, what is your current solution? Do you have single attached tape to each server or a tape library connected to a server via SCSI?

ok, thanks
currently we are using tape library connect to the server via scsi, i think. i was thinking bout a solution that involve a NAS into the backup setup. i looked at NetApp and EMC for NAS, any other vendor that is good with cost being mind. thanks..

NAS is used for fileserver purposes. What are your intentions?

A NAS device *could* be used for backup but I wouldn't do it that way. You just backup to file ON the NAS device and remove a HDD to take off site like you would a tape. A Fastora 208 would give you 8 IDE drives to swap out as you wish. There are other backup to disk devices out there that may or may not be more cost effective.

Hope that helps,

FredUG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back