Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, I recently installed the su

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrauW

MIS
Jul 24, 2003
US
Hi,
I recently installed the suggested and supposedly critically required patch from the microsoft technet website on all domain controllers in my domain. It led to too many problems so I removed it. However now I have a problem with an application Client Agent Admin for Windows 2000 (A component of the ArcServe 2000 v.7.0 package). The admin service will not start. In the log file under c:\program files\computer associates\ntagent\ntagent.log
I see this error:
Check if NWLINK is installed.
20:43 Windows Sockets bind() error.(10048)
20:55 Windows Sockets error: Couldn't create ipx socket.(10047)

I have uninstalled and re-installed this program. No effect. When I manually try to start the service from the Services List, I get the following error:

Could not start service
Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly

I have researched this and understand that winsock error code 10048 means address already in use. However this is not much clearer. Furthermore, on the other domain controllers, the service is started and can be stopped and restarted without a hitch.

Please help.... I don't want to resort to restoring an image because since the last image I have made many changes. Backups haven't been done regularly because this is a test system...(however we would like to go live very soon).

THANKS!!!

Hi
This seems to be a common problem with the Arcserve Agent. Lots of reports of this on tek-tips but as yet no fix. It appears the system process is listening on port 6050 and this prevents the Agent from starting. You can verify this by running "Client Agent Admin" and check the 'status bar' at the bottom. If it says "Socket bind error", you'll need to restart the computer (as it suggests). This workaround works for us, albeit very inconvenient.

Good luck
Ern.

Hi,
Thanks. The problem was that Client Agent had been installed once and never correctly uninstalled. The new version had installed to the same place however the port for the corresponding service was already occupied (that is at least the most plausible theory). I had to manually remove the old version and edit the registry then re-install the new version of Client Admin. The problem then went away. Take care! :)

I have the same problem.

I've removed the old and reinstalled. However when I upgraded using the SP4 package install it fails again.

Is there a "client only" update available anywhere on the CA website?

I can't find it anywhere.

If I uninstall and then just use the SP4 it tells me there's nothing to upgrade.

I'm fine if I just stick with the 1037 build of version 7.0 but now even if I uninstall and reinstall the older version I still cannot get it to start.

What did you modify on the registry?

Thanks,

Michelle

Hmn.. what did I modify in the registry.. this of course should be your last resort. I only went to the registry because I couldn't remove the program with Add/Remove programs in Control Panel. 1st make an image of your system just in case.

Then go to your services, stop the service related to client agent admin and disable it. Then go to regedit or regedt32 (doesn't matter)-> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software
-> ArcServe -> Client Agent Admin and from menu Edit -> Delete
I also removed the relevant Client Admin folder from Program Files -> ArcServe etc...

To remove the service from the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> Current Control Set
->Services

I think you also have to go to the Uninstall folder (I don't remember now exactly where it is) in the registry and delete the entry for the program so that you don't see the entry anymore in Add/Remove programs.

Restart the system->install the Client Admin agent fresh

I hope this helps. As I said.. the best thing to do is to remove the program the normal way in Add/Remove programs and maybe just do a quick check in the registry (only the first part in the SOFTWARE folder) to ensure that the program was actually removed. Lemme know.

FrauW :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back