Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, I recently installed an APC

Status
Not open for further replies.

casperdacat

Technical User
Jun 4, 2001
BE
Hi,

I recently installed an APC SmartUps 2200-XL at my desk but every half an hour or so, the ventilator kicks in to cool down the UPS. I've checked the Powerchute software and I can see the temperature runs up to 40 °C (104 °F). At that time the ventilator starts to spin and cools the UPS down to 35 °C. This is quite annoying as the ventilator makes a lot of noise. I've called APC and they've told me to put an extra ventilator or air conditioning in the room, but that's not something I can do on a short term...
I've set "sensitivity" to low in the Powerchute software, but that doesn't seem to help...

Any ideas anyone?

Do you have any air flow obstructions(under the desk surrounded buy books,etc).
Sounds like it's doing what is's supposed to do.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Public Safety-DMV
Network Operations

Nope, it's under my desk but not surrounded by anything. I even set it up a little higher so it wouldn't be in direct contact with the carpet. I guess I'll just have to put it somewhere else where nobody will bother about the fan noise.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Frederik

You've got some seriously large computer equipment, and if that UPS is running near capacity, you've got 2000 Watts of heat getting generated by the load, plus some more by the UPS itself. Get cooler running equipment (flat panel monitor vs big tube monitor), find a way to keep the room cooler, or be prepared for fan noise as the equipment protects itself.

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

hrrrmmm.... I'd set it on a shelf or something that is sturdy and not fire-prone not too high either! then get hi-elec-eff. gear!

Want 360 degrees of web design, maintenance, hosting, and advertising solutions for your buisness? check us out at for details!!!

Really, what are you running to need that big of an APC unit. 2200XL's are normally considered small server type UPS's.

we are gonna get a higher-up unit for our server. don't know yet though.

Want 360 degrees of web design, maintenance, hosting, and advertising solutions for your buisness? check us out at for details!!!

You may be confusing longer runtime with power capability. If you don't need 2200VA of power (and that model UPS requires a special 20-amp dedicated outlet), then you shouldn't be running that huge a UPS for desktop gear. If what you're after is long run-time, you need to get a UPS sized for your actual load, with addtional battery capability to provide the additional runtime. This may take you to brands other than APC. Check with their sales reps, and if that doesn't work, consider a brand like Liebert or Best Power.

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back