Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi I just bought a 1900c switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

falc0n

MIS
Mar 28, 2002
US
Hi

I just bought a 1900c switch from someone else.
I am having trouble communicate with the console port on the switch.

I am using a cisco rollover cable and a 9 pin terminal adapter, I connect one end to the com port on my computer and the other end to the console port on the switch, which is also using another 9 pin terminal adapter as well. I have verified the wiring on the rollover cable where pin 1 on one end is pin 8 on the other end of the cable.
I have used this adapters on other cisco routers and they work.
Cisco switch does power up.

I open up hyper terminal and set the com port for 9600-8-1 and none.
I try using VT100 and ANSI but I can't get it to communication with the console port on the 1900c.

Cay you tell me if I am doing the right steps, using the right adapters, and if there is any thing else I can do.

I am not to familiar with the 1900c switch

thanks,

Mario

When you power up the unit, after about three minutes of POST, do you see no LED light up with no host connected to the 1900? If there is no LED light up, the unit is most likely ok. You need to check deeper in this forum. This question was asked before. The most likely problem is the cable between your computer and the 1900. The older model uses different cable than the newer one. If you have a DB-9 at the back of the unit instead of RJ45, then you have a older model. Did the cable come with the unit?

Are you sure your Hypterterminal is using the right COM port? Try using COM2, COM3.
----------------------------------------
Wassabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

Ithink you may need a null modem cable.

to elaborate on 'check the cable'...

make sure you are using a rolled cable.

the cable you are using should match the picture of
a rolled cable in the following document.

if you are using a straight-through cable it will not work.

take care...

From your description I think your switch is an old one with a DB9 connector and you are using a rolled RJ45 cable and a DB9/RJ45 'Terminal' adapter on each. This does not work.

Although this setup will display the Diagnostics Console, but all you get booted normally are modem reset strings (AT0H, AT0Z etc). This is very strange - you are convinced that the cable must be correct because the Diags. display, and you can reset the RS232 interface to defaults etc, but the Management console doesn't work. It is the cable that is at fault. Get a proper null modem cable, and then all will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back