Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hi, i have got a pc with 2 usb por

Status
Not open for further replies.

danp123

Technical User
May 24, 2003
GB
hi,
i have got a pc with 2 usb ports on the back, recently i have needed to run my printer (USB) aswell as my webcam (USB) as you know the cable changing becomes very annoying. SO being clever i went and brought a second cable and plugged it in, then plugged that to the camera and booted up the pc. for some stupid reason the pc dosent recoginise the device any ideas why?
the camera is a logitech 310 and the printer is an 815c (HP)

What kind of computer and operating system are we talking about? If you can identify it for me I can see whats up with the internal specs and tell you what might be happening. Also, did you try using a hub? You can get on cheap and that may solve the problem, at least temporarily.

Kyle

im on win 98se, i reinstalled the camera software and plugged in the cable again this time it seems no power is getting to the port, but when it sometimes dows connect i get the windows thing jumping up saying its an unknown device! when i know perfectly well what it is! any ideas

nope, i think the port mite b sorta dead now

The definately get a powered hub. You can get them fro pretty cheap if you look around. As for the dead port, not much you can do but replace the motherboard if their attached (just get a new eMachine for $400) or if they happen to be free floating you may be able to buy a new one and attach it if you want to. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Kyle

it seems weird that 1 is working and the other one only works on occasions, its not set in the bios or cmos or something is it i wouldnt know about opening them up. its like it only has a 5sec power supply stupid really that 1 works and the otherdont especially as they sit ontop of each other and also would this work if i plugged it into the pci slot i have spare
if i installed it?

It should work find and that's a good solution to the problem. Call them and check that it is compatable with your OS though, that could be an issue but other than that you should be fine with that solution.

As for it working internittantly, that sounds just like the issue that the connection to the board is going bad.
Standard problem with usb's as they tend to get plugged and unplugged a lot. Remember the old walkman thing where the headphone jack went? Same idea.

danp123
Did u try to download some new usb drivers for the motherboard, or for the devices u're using ?
Did u try a mobo bios upgrade ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back