Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hi! I have a LAN with a 2000 serve

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantasystranger2

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2003
VN
hi!
I have a LAN with a 2000 server that actived directory to manage domain and 20 clients which inlude Win2k pro and win98se, ME..
Today, I meet a problem from connections of clients which installed WinME and 98se when I try to browse local network. Folowing is error message: "Unable to browse network."
I don't understand why I browse network from WinME,98 client to some 2k client or server => that OK (I browse by //servername). but I can't brose through network neighbourhood. and 2k clients can't not browse WinME, 98 client by any way.
I check system event view on server and I saw some following errors:
- Source: Remote access; ID: 20082 (The Remote Access Server could not reset lana3)
- Source: Service Control Manager; ID: 7031 (The SNMP Service terminated unexpectly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following action will be takeng in 0 millisecond: No action)
- Source: LDAPSVCX; ID: 481 (Site server LDAP service can't intialise the following object: GetLastError[]=997: Init LdapExtension).
- Source: LDAPSVCX; ID: 2500 (The server failed to start due to an intiallization error. Verify the configuration. Errot description is: Get Last error[]=997: Create Account for anonymouse Users.).

Now i feel so bad with this problem, cause the users in my LAN can't not print by network or browse each others. PLZ give me a suggest to solve this
Thanks in advanced.

There is an option in 98/ME that you have to enable to share folders with other computers. I don't have a 98 box here to check the exact location, but you need to enable this checkbox for their shares to be seen.

Win98 clients use netbios names, you can try installing the WINS service on your server to solve the problem. This will enable all the 98 clients to see their network neighborhoods right away.

I've set IP array to DHCP to distribute dynamic IP for clients.
And the File and printer sharing for MS is installed in clients. When I want to print through network I ensured that the printer I print to be shared. But now even I can't browse network.
Before I met this problem, I've used MS Baseline sercurity analyser to verify my server, after that I tried to change registry value that include: "restric anonymouse" and "disable autologon"
I really don't know how to error begin. any idea now plz.
Thanks

Hi!
Three week ago I solved this problem by removing (User-level access control) to (Share-level access control) at "access control" tab. And with this way I basically solve the problem with browsing network.
But if I still continue with this way, everybody who using Win98 or WinME in my company can't load domain user list. May anyone give an idea
Thanks.

It's possible your server has been hacked. Do you have a firewall and anti-virus installed? Have you checked winnt\system32\*\logs such as tcp logs to see if anybody is trying to get in? Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin check out Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Hi GlenJohnson
I don't have a firewall, but I have installed symantec antivirus corporate ver 8.1 (Client/server). I usually updated virus defition daily from Symantec Corp. I don't think my server is infected virus, but it may be hacked.
- I have an Internet Connection Line Which called ADSL. I configured My ADSL Modem with an Static IP (eg:192.168.0.5) to share Internet Connection (all computer must be input 192.168.0.5 into defalt gateway if they want to connect to internet), and My Modem is pluged directly into Switch device. => My server don't input 192.168.0.5 into default gate way (I don't want my server connect to internet). Plz see to me how my server can be hacked.
Thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back