Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, I am not sure if i can ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaushik222

Technical User
Oct 23, 2003
US
Hi,
I am not sure if i can ask this question to UNIX discussion group

Question is, on windows laptop, i am trying to connect a UNIX machine through telnet terminal. But It doesn't even open a telnet connection. It doesn't connect to the machine. It is able to connect to some of the UNIX machines through telnet, but for few of the machines it has this problem.

What could be the reason?? is there any setting which i need to do?

As a good general rule, if you cannot connect to a machine via telnet, then it is not running a telnet server.

A unix-like OS does not have to run a telnet server -- many don't in favor of ssh, which is more secure.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

Do you have the IP address of the machines you're trying to connect to? If so, you can test basic connectivity like this.

1) Open up a command window on your laptop. Go to Start->Run, enter cmd, and hit Enter. You will see a command box open up.

2) Try to [tt]ping[/tt] the IP address. If the IP address is (for example) 10.20.30.40, then type the following...
Code:
    ping 10.20.30.40
That will let you know if you can reach it. If you can, then typing...
Code:
    telnet 10.20.30.40
...should get you connected.

If you only have a hostname, the problem might be that your computer can't resolve the hostname into an IP address. It needs this IP address, not the hostname to connect.

Another problem could be that the system isn't accepting telnet connections. It could be set up to only allow SSH connections. You would need to get an SSH client of some kind to connect.

Do you have any error messages to post? What commands are you trying?

The system administrator should be able to help you get connected.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response..

But I tried all these. It pings to the machine, but it doesn't allow telnet. And one more intresting thing, it is allowing a connection from other machine. Only from this laptop it has a problem

Hi,
you most likely have a reverse name resolver problem. When you're trying telnet, does it just hang?
Try waiting for a minute and so and see if you get in anyway, in that case you need to make sure the laptop is either in DNS (reverse) or in the hosts file on the other computer.

Cheers

Unixfreak,
thanks ...we could find the problem but dn't know how to fix it.
Basically when we ping by using the machine name (host) , it is giving a wrong IP ..actually when i do it from the other machine it gives the correct IP.
Now i am able to connect to the machine by using the right IP address. But I don't know how to map the DNS name on my laptop to the right IP address.

from a DOS window on the system that can reach the Unix box, type ipconfig /all

Take a note of the IP address for DNS Servers and WINS servers.

Do the same on the system that can't get to the Unix box.

The IPs will probably be different.

On the system that can't reach the Unix system, open up Control Panel, then Network and Dialup Connections. Right-click the Local Area Connection in the Network and Dialup Connections window and select Properties. Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties. In the Use the following DNS server addresses, enter the IP address(es) you found from the system that can reach the Unix system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back