Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi all, We have veritas Backup ex 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

homerunkevin

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2002
US
Hi all,
We have veritas Backup exec 8.6 running on this HP LC 2000 SErver. Just in the past couple of weeks, the backup server did not start working. I have try switching in new DDs4 Tape into the HP SureStore DAT40 Drive. Just yesterday I have try to run the backup 2 time in the afternoon and the status failed. However in the activity montior it show 26 GB count. I went into the log and check out there these were the message after every attempt to to backup. "The connection to the data to backup has been lost. Backup set canceled.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Does anyone know how to go about trouble this issue?
I have try to verify and restore setting to make sure files were back up currently. However, the dates show back on 12/26 none of the recent backup that I made.

Does anyone can kindly good advice how to go about this?

If not i am planning to add a new backup device, hp surestore autoloader 1/8 which is more powerful that this current one.

Thanks a million

Love always,
KEvin zhang
Techncial Support specailist
kevin@hsmc.com

Kev,

Make sure that the amount of data that you're backing up fits onto the tape. Remember that compression isn't always 2:1.

Big Note [nosmiley]
If you go with the autoloader, make sure that BE will support it. I have an IBM Autoloader and am struggling to get the robotic library to work correctly.[sadeyes]

[thumbsup] Have fun!!

1. As KingTyrone said, does all of your backup data fit on one tape? If not, Backup Exec CANNOT wait for you to change a tape. It says "I need a new tape, one isn't available, I quit." An autoloader solves this. By the way, if you have a 100 GB tape and 45 GB of data, the tape may still not be large enough if you are allowing data to be appended. Here's an example of what happens...let's say there's no compression:

100 GB free space
1st backup of 45GB leaves 55 GB free space
2nd backup of 45GB leaves 10 GB free space
3rd backup of 45GB uses last 10 GB and needs a new tape for the last 35GB.

2. If that's not the problem, have your sysadmin check the connection between the two systems. The sysadmin might have changed something on the network and your backup could be timing out because of the amount of time it takes.

-SQLBill

SQLBill,
Well, I have discover the following extra info too.

I have the following situation with my Backup server.
The C: drive has only 344MB of space left, while on the D drive, it has been configure with Raid 5 setup with 40 GB space avaliable.

In the last couple of weeks, I been noticing that the backup job failed. This leads me to believe that Veritas Backup Exec 8.6 needs amount of space in the C: to do it works.

I have document the follwoing error message in the application log in the Event Viewer

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: WinMgmt
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8
Date: 1/9/2003
Time: 5:43:08 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SQUISHY
Description:
Failed to create a backup repository for use when recovering a corrupt repository. Check there is enough disk space.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Backup Exec Catalog Server
Event ID: 34327
Time: 5:42:24 PM
Description:
Update to catalog index (C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs\BeTopCat.idx) failed.
Reason: Not enough space on disk. DAO.DbEngine
c:\be\rabi\3878r\becat\server\catalogindex.cpp(343)

Event Source: NTFRSPerf
Event ID: 13527
Time: 5:42:22 PM
Description:
The RPC binding failed in the Open function of the FileReplicaSet Object. The counter data for this object will not be available. The FileReplicaSet object contains the performance counters of the Replica sets whose files are being replicated by the File Replication Service.

Event Source: Norton AntiVirus
Event ID: 14
Time: 5:41:58 PM
Description:

Norton AntiVirus services failed to start. Virus definition file is invalid. (CC001000)

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: LicenseService
Event ID: 213
Time: 5:34:51 PM
Description:
Replication of license information failed because the License Logging Service on server domserver.hsmc.com could not be contacted.
Data:
0000: 17 00 02 c0 ...À

Event Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1000
Time: 5:34:18 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
The Group Policy client-side extension Security was passed flags (17) and returned a failure status code of (2).
Love always,
KEvin zhang
Techncial Support specailist
kevin@hsmc.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back