Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi all, we have a contact databa

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkg

Technical User
May 20, 2000
BE
Hi all,

we have a contact database that we will use with three users. We are not all the time connected via a network so we can not put the Backend with the data on a central drive. We are hawever constantly connected to the Internet and we have a webserver at our disposal where we can put our database on. Any suggestions how I can make sure that we can replicate our databases with the backend on our webserver?

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Greetz,

Dirk

Either Replicate and get on with life in your separate worlds, coming together occasionally to synchronise the replicas.

OR

Create a single Web based database, front the thing with ASP / Access Data Pages and you can all use the same database simultaneously.

'ope-that-'elps.

G LS

a possibility that crossed my mind to but unfortunately I do not have the time to rework the whole database to Access Data Pages...therefore I had hoped to find an easier solution by linking the tables to a database that is on a webserver.

you can also mark the data that has been modified, and then perform an update or append query.

yes but how do I perform this update/append-query to a table that is in a database on a webserver?

File -> Get External data, and locate the table. I do it for tables that are on a shared network drive, but I think this is simular for webtables.

Well, I can tell you that it is not :-(

I checked it for you, and in Access 2000, I am able to select MY WEB FOLDERS, in that folders I have the 6 sites I update from time to time. Those settings have been set by Frontpage and Publishing Wizard..
good luck, I am online, feel free to post your reply. I won't play the smart guy, but will try to help you as much as I can.

Well, I am able to get to my web-folder but when I click on my database in that web-folder I get a "Not a valid file Name"-error...have you tried it also with an Access DB? Does it work with you?

I use to maintain the user comments submitted on a webpage. I delete them, and synchronize them with other data. Is it an mdb file stored on the web, or txt files?
Access is able to read a lot of formats, so I don't think the problem is located there.
I hope this answer is enough for you.

it is an mdb-file. So are you actually able to link from a local access database to a table or text-file on your webserver?

maybe you don't have it due to the fact you didn't publish this site using frontpage. I suggest you create a page in frontpage , and publish it on the site where your data is stored.
Then go back to Access, the site will appear in that list.

Good luck. I must go now. I get back to you tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back