Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi all, this is the 2nd time I am p

Status
Not open for further replies.

axgrinder

Technical User
Jul 12, 2003
IE
Hi all, this is the 2nd time I am posting this request for help as there were no responses last time. Is there anyone out there who can help?

My Pc Specs:
Asus P4B266 MoBo
Celeron 2.0Ghz Cpu
256Mb ram DDr
Ati 128 Rage pro Agp card

Initially on putting the pc together, it ran well. Approx. 6 hours later, it rebooted itself, and hung on the post test. I tried replacing the power supply, the ram, re-seating the graphics card, Moved the cpu to a working pc (it ran without problems), Removed all non essential components(Hdd, floppy etc). The pc still will not start. sometimes it has a Pause? of 30 seconds before the post completes and the system beeps. When it does complete the post, it occasionally goes directly into the bios setup and before I can load the bios defaults, it will reset itself and then either hang, not completing the post test, or if the post test completes, will reboot shortly afterwards.
I have taken out the MoBo and connected everything out of the case on a cardboard box, with only the Agp card, Ram, Keyboard and mouse connected. I am still getting the same results. The MoBo is the second one I have tried, with the same results.

Does any one have any suggestions as I am now clueless?

Looks like something is really screwed up.
You do not mention the PSU. What is its power and is it functioning correctly ?
Have you tried all components with another mobo ?
Have you tried with a different video card ?

the Psu is a new 350w(replace twice). I have tried all the various components on a working pc and they operate normally. The mobo has been replaced as well. The only thing I have not replaced is the graphics card and the HDD.

Hi, my guess would be that your system is overheating. (If it worked the first time, why wouldn't it work again ?)

Based on the fact that after you switch it off and back on, you still have problems, that would probably be the issue. If you leave it for a significant amount of time (IE: cools down enough) and then it starts up properly, you basically have found your problem. However having read your post again, it seems you have tried to leave it off for a long time.

Seeing as you've already tried replacing all the components, they probably are fine. Have you tried moving the RAM around, IE put in different slots ? Usually this kinda thing is either RAM/CPU related, although I've had a faulty Power Supply before that caused a similar bug.

Just another question, are you sure you're suppose to run a celeron CPU on that motherboard ? And are your bios settings correct for the CPU ?

gluck ;)

Hi 777Ziggorat,
It is definatly not overheating. I have physically felt the heatsink on the cpu and it is cold. I have also tried different sticks of ram and in different slots. I have also just replaced the graphics card with an older PCI card and still the same problems.
Any suggestions?

What is the posibility of a virus writing to the bios?

Hi, Virus writing to Bios, unlikely however it has happened before. Just think it might be a good idea to have someone scan your HD in any case.

You've tried all the components twice essentially, so they all work.

I'm confused here as at
they use a Pentium CPU to test the MB, yet you use a celeron CPU... Perhaps its just my lack of knowledge with all the newer MB's, but why did you go Celeron ?

OK.

All you need installed is
RAM(use 1 stick)
CPU
Graphics Card ( if there is no 'onboard' ) card

If you cant even get past the POST then you know something is amis. If you dont have time to even change your BOIS settings, then clearly its either.

1. RAM, CPU, PSU.

I dont think you can tell by the heatsink if its overheating, usually the CPU itself will be really hot in anycase. Either way if you're already having difficulty just from startup, I dont see it as the CPU overheating.

If you dont have time to set the BIOS defaults, you should be able to get the defaults by removing the CMOS battery. This enables BIOS to remember all BOIS settings even when PC is unplugged.

Other than that I think you need to make sure all your switches are as they should be when you got the MB. If that still doesn't solve the problem, my only suggestion would be to

1. Use another CPU in your PC. Try a pentium CPU (sorry , gonna be difficult to borrow I assume)
2. Use different RAM. You didnt mention what type of RAM you were using DDR2100 , DDR2700 ect. Are you sure the MB supports that typs of RAM ?

lemme know how it goes.

cheers

Oh yeah, also a good idea to make sure all your fans are working properly. I once had a piece of wire stuck in my PSU fan, meaning it reset itself on very random occasions.

Try booting from a Floppy disk and see what happens.

I looked at the Asus website and you probably need to flash the BIOS.

There was a BIOS version that eneabled support for a 2 Gig Celeron. The original BIOS probably didn't support that. There were several BIOS fixes for different things. One was for the problem you describe. (Sudden rebooting) (Recognizing Celeron) (LBA - Large hard drives) (Etc.)

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I have reset the bios by removing the battery and shorting out two pins as directed by the manual. This should reset all the bios settings to the default including the RTC.It did not improve the situation. I am going to try a P4 2.4 proc and see if that helps. The Ram is ddr2100. All fans are working correctly. The inital Ram check on boot comes up clean. I think my next step is an exorcist??

I agree with KarlC, you might have to flash your BIOS, but before you try that (as flashing your BIOS can actually stuff it up for good), go with the Pentium CPU. If that works, you know the problem and will need to apply that flash update for celeron, otherwise by now my best bet would be to get a different MB. I've had to replace 3 rooters of the same make because they didn't work... so try another MB.

;) gl

Here's a wild thought (maybe worthless, maybe not)...try replacing the CMOS battery.

Let us know what you come up with.

Hi all, I think I might have solved the problem. I disconnected the reset switch from the mobo and it has been up and running for 18hrs. There must be either an intermittant short on the reset switch or the switch is too finely set i.e just about making all the time.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

This could be one to look out for in the future.

Hi, glad to hear you've fixed your problem as after trying a different CPU, I would have given up :)

Just curious, but are you sure the reset switch was properly connected in the first place ? Either way if so, you can always return the case..

Glad its working though.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back