Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi all, One of our table reached m 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shantanu125

Programmer
May 8, 2002
US
Hi all,
One of our table reached maximum extent and then I modified its extent to unlimited.The time during which I sent the fix my client's work was halted.I want to ask experts can I safely inrease the extent of all tables to unlimited without creating any problem in future.
Please suggest
Shantanu

It's tempting to set extents to unlimited, but I would recommend against it. You never know when an application error will result in a runaway process that repeatedly inserts data until the table fills up an entire disk.

In my opinion a better approach would be to run a job weekly or monthly that checks to see if any tables or indexes are within, say, 10% of their maximum extents. You can then adjust the max extents for just those tables that are close to running out of space.

On Oracle 9i you may also safely add extents while client is waiting for your assistance by using
ALTER SESSION ENABLE RESUMABLE.

Hi,
Thanx Karluk... ur suggestion is right.... I will write a script that is to be run monthly to get information about present extent level of tables ......
shantanu

One way more is to modify the storage parameter of that Tables/idxes which will grow extraordinary (because migration and defragmentation).

Georgdba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back