Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi all, One of my remote sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjb22

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
GB

Hi all,

One of my remote sites is connected by a 100MB fibre LAN extension. The kit at the remote site consists of 3 x Cisco 3550's with 3 seperate VLAN's configured (1 for servers, 1 for users, 1 for management). The switches are interlinked using the GBIC ports.

All appropriate ports are hard set to 100 MB FD where appropriate etc etc, but the users are still complaining of slow response times when trying to access anything in the core.

Could it be a setting in the VLAN's that is causing this issue?

Cheers.

Are all VLAN's experiencing this slowness, or just the VLAN with the users on it. You might check to see if there is excessing broadcasts, also check to make sure the fiber is working 100% if you're using fiber x-ceivers, check those too..

BuckWeet

From what I am being told its just the VLAN with the users on it. Fibre is working ok from what I can see.

How do I check broadcasts on the particular VLAN ?

You could do a "show interface vlan #" # being your vlan for the users

you could also setup a protocol analyzer and just let it run, since its a broadcast it'll get those frames without setting up SPAN..

BuckWeet

I have just had a look at the config for the VLAN and it shows zero as the number of broadcasts. I have ran a protocol analyser in the past and it didnt bring anything to my attention that was untoward.

any ideas ?

Okay, they're complaining of slowness, slowness to what? to the local servers? to servers at the core? Are things at the core in the same VLAN, or are they going across a Layer 3 device somewhere?

BuckWeet

Slowness to the servers at the core. The servers at the core aren't in a VLAN they are in one single collision domain so go through a couple of routers before hitting there destination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back