Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, all. I plan to take ccna. I hav 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

iriscisco

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2003
CN
Hi, all. I plan to take ccna. I have never taken cisco training, just by self-study and soem hands-on experience.
But not sure if systematically enough to take the test. any suggestion for eval? I really wish to pass one time.

the best thing i can recommend is to get hands on exprices with cisco routers/swithes. and when you think you know subnetting inside and out study some more.

chris
ccna, ccda

A tip for you guys looking to do CCNA. Try and get some reading materials from different sources within CiscoPress if you can. For example, the CCNA exam has questions on it from the ICND course, CCNA courseware and the CCNA exam guide. If you don't at least read all three sources you will get questions that you never heard of, or read, in your studies.
Also try and get some hands on if you can - know how to set up passwords.

ajcazz

thanks all for the suggestion.
for me, i have studied some materails and take care for the company network, so have the chance to view and config from time to time. the only concern is that i am not sure if really get ready 'cause the study seems not systematically.

desps, study hard for the target! and take advice from those kind guys. cheers

Get the feel of every detail of the exam, specially the Hands on. The Multiple Qs are pretty straight forward, sometimes there are Qs wherein there are more than one possible answers, use the method of elimination to trim down the answers to just one. Remember that the best answer is Cisco's answer.
With regards to the sims, be sure you know your access-list,routing protocols,study the configs thoroughly so you can see what is wrong with the current config. No need to "copy run start" to end the sims. The sims weight is heavier than the multiple Qs and do not spend too much time because you may consume too much tiem with the sims.

I am also currently studying for the CCNA Exam and have found the following URL very helpfull.

~Dave~
Where do packets go when they die ?
flame.gif

I mean you do not need to copy the running-config to startup-config to end up the simulation. It is not really required when you are taking the exam. You'll know when you start learning about the router commands on what I really mean.

thats to much, test will be from the text book of cisco pree, nothing to worry about. good luck

ecafracs, yes, I know this command. what I mean is that if use this command, will be judged as wrong? if not, using this should be better than not using for sure. thanks.

This will answer your Qs. straight from Cisco

bin/ciscocert.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?
p_sid=bM8Yx5Fg&p_lva=968&p_faqid=947&p_created=1015349640&p_
sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTE4JnBfc2VhcmNoX
3RleHQ9ZG8gaSBuZWVkIHRvIGNvcHkgdGhlIHJ1bm5pbmcgY29uZmlnIHRvI
HRoZSBzdGFydHVwIGNvbmZpZyZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTQmcF9wcm9kX2x2b
DE9fmFueX4mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9wY
WdlPTE*&p_li=

Question
How will the simulations work on the Cisco exams?

Answer
Besides answering the usual multiple choice and fill in response questions, candidates will face a few performance simulation questions, which will approximate a networking environment. Candidates will be presented with a real-life scenario and a networking topology to address specific tasks through router commands. The responses that a candidate enters will need to be the same as those one would expect in a real-life networking situation.

Router simulation exams items will accept abbreviated commands that an actual Cisco router will understand. For example: 'Show Config' or ‘Sho Cofig’ or ‘Sh Conf’ and ‘Router #show ip protocol’ or ‘router # show ip prot’ would be acceptable. The exam commands must include the correct spacing, spelling and marks (#@!?).

The router simulation exam questions do not require candidates to save the configuration prior to exiting the simulation question to receive credit.

The exam simulation questions allow candidates to move back and forth within the simulation question to modify answers. Once the "Next" button is hit the exam will continue to the next question. Candidates will not be given the option to go back to review the simulation question or modify their answer. Please note Cisco Career Certification exams are delivered in sequence and do not allow skipping or marking a question to answer later.

Exam simulation questions carry greater weight than typical multiple-choice or fill-in-the-blank test questions in calculating a candidates' final exam score. At the end of the exam the overall score will be calculated and the candidate will be provided with a score report pinpointing areas of strength and weakness.

Only authorized Cisco Learning Partners offer Cisco simulation training necessary to properly prepare for the certification exams. Click Here to try a free course simulation. Use the Learning Locator to locate an authorized Learning Partner or learn more about Authorized Learning Partners

An Exam Interface Tutorial is also provided for review at It is recommended that candidates become familiar with the exam functionality before sitting an exam so candidates are focused on the exam questions rather than how to correctly use the tools. The tutorial familiarizes users with the software tools used in the Career Certification exams.

Click Here to learn more about the proper way to enter command lines during Cisco Career Certification exams.

ecafracs, thanks for info. I understand now.

Anyone... I have the subnetting thing down but I'm wondering about being able to calc numbers of hosts and subnets in the test. The Cisco press CCNA guide teaches using 2^number of subnet bits - 2 for subnets and
2^ number of host bits - 2 for hosts. Sorry but I'm not good and doing 2^14-2 in my head. Is there another way to do this or will this not be a problem on the tests.

hi iriscisco,

how's your exam?
anything to share with us? i still lack of confident to sit for the exam.heard that the exam would become harder in this coming may.

2whirichardson:

You will run into powers of 2 either way, so remember at least some of them:
2^4 - 1 = 16 - 1 = 15 (16 colours - VGA, Windows default scheme)
2^8 - 1 = 256 - 1 = 255 (256 colours - SVGA)
2^12 - 1 = 4096 - 1 = 4095 (just remember, you'll meet it)
2^16 - 1 = 65536 - 1 = 65535 (high colour, the largest integer number before 1995)
so: 2^14 = 2^12 *2 *2 = 4096 *2 *2 = 8192 *2 = 16384
and now take two off 16382 hosts/subnets
also 2^10 = 1024 - real easy, it's how many bytes in a kilobyte :)

2 desps, sorry to reply late. I have not taken the test, focusing on other real jobs for some branch offices setup worldwide. I plan to take the test by June. will share with you. thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back