Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi all, I have had my curre 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkymonkey

Technical User
Jul 5, 2001
GB
Hi all,
I have had my current server (PDC) now for 3 years and yesterday it reported that the security log was full.
I backed up and deleted the log (It is the one in event viewer isn't it?) and carried on my work as normal.
At the end of the day it reported the same error again.
I checked it and indeed it was full.I upped the size of the log to one Meg and this morning guess what....yes it's reporting it full again.

Now it's not a fatal error but I can't understand why when nothing has changed it's starting to have this problem.

Any ideas?

Have you checked what's in the log via event viewer? Also you might want to change the option to 'Overwrite events as needed' (in conjunctin with at least 1MB log size).

Hi Nick,
Yes I checked the security log and it looked no different to usual. The current setting for deletion is every 7 days.I wanted to give myself some information if needed. However this is filling in one day but wasn't prior to yesterday?

Thanks for your suggestion.

There must be some event(s) that are occuring very readily to fill a 1MB size Security Event Log... Try to find out what they are, and turn off the auditing events if unnecessary. If you need all of them, and none of the entries are hacking attempts, then you should just set it to "overwrite as needed" and perhaps up the size some more. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back