Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi all. I got a major problem i ju

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesper

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2002
DK
Hi all.
I got a major problem i just cant figure out.
One of my customers have a pc, only 6 months old.
Now, when he power it up, you can hear the cooler, cpu and harddisk spinning up. Everythings sounds normal. But the problem is, that the monitor keeps being black, it dosent turn on. I know the monitor works, I tried it on antoher pc, where it worked perfectly. The RAM and the graphic card is also ok, cause Ive tried putting them in another machine where they worked perfectly. Any ideas what the f..., the problem could be. Im going crazy about it :)
Any help and suggestion is welcome.

Sounds like on of them 'keep swapping until you find it' scenario.

I would try :
1. PSU no good? This is easiest to swap out
2. Remove ALL cards & devices (except VGA) and see if BIOS comes up
3. If above fails, must be mobo or cpu (you say you checked ram and vga)
4. Put cpu into different box to confirm that is ok

Hey how about this...is this m-board one that has built-in video? If so it could be that you have to correct the bios settings so that it allows an inserted video card to supercede the on-board video. This would explain why all functions are normal but black screen. If no video cards work at all but the machine fires up anyway this may be your bug. I forget what the control is called in bios but if you don't specify that the m-board allows the vid card it will always try to use on-board and nothing will work. I had same problem once.

Let me know if this is the case, I am interested. Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Me too denodave, on my old PII board it had an SiS 6326 8mb AGP built into it which I had to kill in the bios.. (and maybe a motherboard jumper.. I forget) and drop my VooDoo 3 in at the time...

-Matthew T. Jones
A+, I-Net+
mach2@brightok.net

Try hitting the deguass button on the monitor. I had the same thing happen to me one time and all it needed was to just hit that button that looks like an upside-down u.

Well here is another idea. On the Power supply is it set to 230 or 115 volts. If it is set to 230 volts you will have the exact symptoms you describe.

Ok, thanks for all replays. Im seeing the customer at wednesday this upcoming week, and I will try all the suggestions, you all came up with. Ill keep in touch and let you all know what happens. Thanks, so far :)

You didn't say if this system was working fine for the 6months and then it happened suddenly with out any hardware or software modifications.Was the machine connected to the internet or on a network?

A lot of modems going bad will cause this. Works fine one day, the next it's dead. If it has a modem, pull it out and see if the pc will boot.

Hi
Try a high res monitor on the "faulty" pc. If it works, check the video resolution it may be set too high, (some cheapy monitors only go to 800 x 600. Of course once set too high your stuck, until you try a higher res. monitor.
It could be set to 1280 x 1024 this would give those symptoms. Reset it to 800 x 600 while the new monitor is plugged in. Then swap back

Even if the res was too high, POST results come up in 640x480. The monitor would only ping once Windows loaded the graphics drivers.
Gav
A problem with Windows??? Never...

If you have an AGP card fitted, replace it with a PCI card, or vice-versa. Check bios set to innitialize AGP or PCI, in chipset advance features. Set bios to the prefered form and voila.

Hope this helps.

The problem could be because the pins in the agp or pci slot are out of place so when you plug the video card into it it doesn't have a complete connection - This has happened to me before on a motherboard so I had to fix the pins and then the computer worked fine
David@Daw Corp, 1999-2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back