Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, All. Dilemma: When trying to c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandit77

MIS
Mar 11, 2002
US
Hi, All.
Dilemma: When trying to configure a USR modem (internal) to a HP Vectra VE C/266, I somehow lost the FDC and P/S 2 mouse. A serial mouse doesn't work, either. I get a FDC Failure error in POST. Sometimes, but no always, I get the PS/2 failure, as well. When I do finally get into Windows 95, the system properties tells me that the IDE controller is causing conflicts. The FDD is on IRQ 15. Shouldn't it be on IRQ 6? Anyway, I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on with this thing. I've tried reseting the CMOS, I've removed everything and put it all back in, all to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[bugeyed] If it ain't broke, it will be when I'm done with it.

Remove all again, and put things in one at a time.
Leave the modem until last. Test it and reboot between installs.
NOTE* Modems use IRQ's *and* COMM ports which is probably why you are getting a conflict.
Good luck
KimberTech I pledge to share any information I have and advise to the best of my knowledge based on the information provided. If I have helped, please vote my post helpful.

Thanks Kimber.
I've done that acouple times already. I've already built a different machine for that station, so I'm foregoing the modem in this machine. Fact is, I can't get rid of the conflict. I've tried everything I know (which isn't much) and have yet to come up with a solution. I took out the sound card and the modem. I have run the machine with nothing but video. No HDD, no FDD, no CD-ROM, nothing. I still got the FDC Failure error and still no mouse. I even changed the FDD, but it was for naught. I wonder if I somehow killed the MB, or at least part of it.
Thanks again. If it ain't broke, it will be when I'm done with it.

I would say you're right, the motherboard is US, possible static discharge problem when you first fitted the modem? All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Before you write off the board, you might try resetting bios to default or a flash....sometimes works in a pinch.
Best of luck...and you are welcome...
Kimber I pledge to share any information I have and advise to the best of my knowledge based on the information provided. If I have helped, please vote my post helpful.

Clearing CMOS completely is worth trying. This is not always as easy as it sounds, as sometimes the capacitors in the mobo circuitry takes days to discharge totally. I'd try removing the battery and leaving it out for a few days, then see if the CMOS params have completely cleared, then check for error messages after POST.

Good luck!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Okay. I've pulled the battery. I'll let the capacitors drain for a few days and we'll see what happens. I'll be sure to keep you posted.
Thank you for all your advice. If it ain't broke, it will be when I'm done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back