Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi all - could use some help with r

Status
Not open for further replies.

tviman

Programmer
Jul 25, 2002
US
Hi all - could use some help with repartitioning my W2K drives. I've installed a second drive for storage purposes only and want to adjust the partitions on the first drive. But I'm not able to do so with the Disk Management Tool or Partition Magic. I feel that I can't see the forest because of the trees! Please help!

Thanks in advance...

There's always a better way...

PM seems to work OK but after a few minutes I get a message that I need at least 64mb of memory - and I have 1 gig! Any ideas? There's always a better way...

your running it from inside windows or from their rescue floppy ?

PM will not run in Windows 2000! Must be run from their Utility disk in drive A of from CD-ROM. Version is 6.05. There's always a better way...

i got pm pro 7 and its running nicely inside windows ;)
im not quite sure if pm6 support ntfs5

My apologies - Partition Commander will not run under Windows 2000. I don't have Partition Magic. So, if you have any clues why PC isn't working, please respond.

Thanks again..... There's always a better way...

Tviman,

If I remember correctly partition magic used to complain if you were loading emm386. It would run, but complain. Could be a similar problem. If this doesn't work, do you have access to ghost? Ghost the original disk to the second. Swap the drives. Boot from the new drive. Use disk mgr or egads fdisk to fiddle with the partitions on the original disk. This will destroy all data so proceed with caution.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I dug around and found an old version of Partition Magic (Ver.6.0 - not sure when or where I got it). Installed it on W2K Pro and it worked like a champ!

Thanks again! There's always a better way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back