Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi all, Can we directly migrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhonty

IS-IT--Management
Jun 11, 2002
IN
Hi all,

1. Can we directly migrate from Sybase version 10.X to
12.5? 11.0.X to 12.5 ? 11.9.X to 12.5 ?
2. Is anybody have wright up for problem faced during
migration between different versions and 12.5?
or the know problems (syntax / behavior changed) and there fixes while migrating?

Thanks in advance.

hello,

1. you can just perform an upgrade... for version12+ you just need to create the new sybase path, increase sybsystemprocs size, increase tempdb, turn off db options, upgrade and reindex...

2. we upgraded from 11.9.2 and the only problem we noticed that affected our application are the 'dirty reads' for inserts... before 12.0 our application was able to perform inserts and not commit until we validate the insert with a select... 12+ does not allow this anymore... so we had to reconfigure our code and allow a wait on the commit on the insert so we can perform a select...

there are some issues with solaris 8+ that sybase is still investigating...

hth,
q.

DO u mean I can upgrade directly from 10.X,11.X to 12.5 without doing migration???

hello jhonty,

sorry... i should have been more specific... i was assuming you were also consulting the sybase website...

yes, you can upgrade directly to 12.5 from 11.5x and 11.9x...
anything below 11.5x, sybase recommends that you upgrade to 11.5x or 11.9x then upgrade to 12.5...

i would highly recommend that you read the technical documents on the upgrade process found in your software package... or the
hth,
q.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back