Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hey...which is the best Cert Simulator for CCNA exam ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

metafox

Technical User
Jul 13, 2005
DO
Hi all..
I want to know which is the best Cert Simulator for the CCNA certification Exam...and what is the best choice... thank's

I just purchased the latest CCNA Software simulator version 6.0 from Boson. I think it is your best bet. There is another older veriosn of the Cisco CCNA simulator (version 5.0) available from Borders Books and music (same price as version 6.0) but just not as updated or versatile. For my money go to and purchase version 6.0 of the CCNA net simulator.

For lab hardware, I would purchase a lab kit for CCNP and CCIE from For the CCNA, I would use the Boson net simulator to save money.

Hello all,

I am a Nortel tech with 20 years in the business and I am now in a shop were we are migrating to Cisco Call manager. I would like to know what study path should I be taking to get certified/trained on such equipment to better serve my company in my present duties as well as further myself professionally?

CCNA then CCVP etc.? By the way the company is footing the bill so I want to make the most of the training dollars so to speak.

Hi, Meridianman5,

Welcome! I suggest studying for and obtaining your CCNA first. In the Cisco educational career path, that is the foundation required before you an advance to the vocie classes. You can skip the CCNA and take the CCVP classes but Cisco will not grant you the certificate for them until you pass the CCNA so best to get the CCNA first. Then, I thik you are on the right track with taking the CCVP core course material. Afterwards, there is the CCNP and finally CCIE. For, the CCNA and CCVP will be your best bang for the buck.
Also, you can purchase for your refernce Cisco self studying books published by Cisco Press right in Borders Books and Music or Barnes and Noble book stores. They have a great two volume CCNA self studying set. You can also order them direct from Ther is also a very good CCNA network self study software simulator available from Some folks also like the Todd Lamlee authored CCNA book published by Sybex. Finally, there are a number of good five day 8 hour a day CCNA boot camp classes offered out there. Some of these options hopefully will be what you are looking for. Good luck. Tom

metafox,

One of the best places that I get ALL my tech books - Cisco Press, Sybex etc. is
They have got large discounts on all books and they are all new and they have deals on shipping also. Most are 20% to 45% off list and they run specials that they will email you about.

You can also get the Cisco Press/Boson CCNA Router Sim there at a discount also.

I hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Here's a totally different approach to learning cisco router configuration commands but it does really work...
There's a free Java applet at
The applet takes you through a specific router configuration task, for example, configuring a serial interface for ppp with chap authentication. Keep repeating until you get a perfect score. Its difficult to ever forget a configuration command once you get a perfect score.

brooksie

This is ok for free - but it should be programmed to support all Cisco command variations.
When you use the abbreviations that are supported and used on the CCNA exams it tells you it is wrong - it only recognizes the full Cisco command.

In the real world - networkers DO NOT type out the whole command if they do not have to.

conf t
is the came as
configure terminal

in e0/0
is the same as
interface ethernet 0/0

sh in e0/0
is same as
show interface ethernet 0/0

cop ru st or
copy run st
is the same as
copy running-config startup-config

When Cisco first started the Cisco Network Academy for CCNA about 7 years ago they had a sim like this, I had an experienced networking guy from the USAF who kept getting hung up - he could completely configure a real Cisco router in 4 minutes but the sim had him second guessing himself because it wanted everything spelled completely out. Cisco changed it in the Academy because so many people complained that it was not like a real router.

It is great to know the full command but you can use and will see command variations on Cisco exams, at least I have on CCNA, CCDA and a CCNP exam.

My thoughts - get time on a real stack of your own routers or the free stack offered in this forum and practice it until you get the Ethernet interface up and running by confirming it with different show commands. This would then be kind of like what you would be doing in the real world !!

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back