Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hey, Guys I have a question....I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hey,

Guys I have a question....I plan on taking a foundational class for database and pursue oracle. I am learning UNIX now and as a person with 3-5 years experience with PC's how would I do in the market place. I am not interested in the money.....RIGHT NOW but just getting in as a DBA or something else.....

UNIX is a good place to start (not that I'm biased at all :)) I was an engineer before going to UNIX admin and then Oracle. Now I do Oracle and AIX admin.

Also a lot depends on what you want to do - development or production. I'm assuming you're in the USA and I believe the market is a little different to the UK (more contractors ?) Good luck whatever you choose

Alex

Small note - I had a few years of PC/slight UNIX experience, and took DBA classes at my university that were 'Oracle approved', and I found that going in as a DBA without having prior Oracle DBA experience is extremely difficult. I would suggest considering an Oracle developer job, and see if the company would be willing to train and eventually work you into a Jr. DBA to DBA position. An added bonus, having some developer experience makes the things you would learn in DBA classes much clearer, and, IMO, even more marketable. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back