Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hey Guys I am new to the server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcwtechmech

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2002
US
Hey Guys

I am new to the server end of technology. I have a 2000 server up with a new domain name and I want to host a website on it. How would you guys suggest I proceed? Let everything that have breath praise the Lord.

Hmm the answer to your question is a lenghty one. Have you done everything up to this point to prepare your public domain name and do you have a public ip that is registered?

You need to set up IIS on the server. Be sure to install all the IIS critical updates and there is an IIS LockDown tool to install also. has some info on that.

Going from memory, you will need to create a folder under the InetPub\ folder and place your docs and stuff in there.

Start IIS and add a new website, configure with the folder in your InetPub\ as the Home Directory and set your permissions and all the good stuff.

Let us know how far you get.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Ditch Windows2000 go for UNIX

How many CALs do you have? (Client Access Licenses)

If you only have, say, 20-30 Per Seat or Per Server CALs (typical for a Small/Medium Office), then your server will go pop (metaphorically) when more than 20-30 people try to access your site.

Not good if you want lots of hits

Win2ksvr is better for Intranets not the Internet

You are still going to have to sort out Public Registered IP addresses, Broadband ADSL (or something bigger), A Firewall, e.t.c.

Not wanting to sound like a broken record.... But...
Ditch Windows and get Linux.
I tried for several weeks to get a Web Server working thru IIS with Win2k to no avail. Sometimes it'd work, sometimes not. I formatted and installed RedHat 7.3 Valhalla and haven't had a problem yet. Very easy to set up, and once it's up, that's it. It doesn't go down.... Thanks,

Matt Wray

ok guys I will be able to get back to the server in a couple of days. Thanks and please continue to monitor this string. For the lunix comments.. you will have to walk me through instalation to development. If you are not willing to do this then help me with this. hehe
I do have a version but I know less about it. thanks anyways. Let everything that have breath praise the Lord.

first question, what type of connection to the internet do you have.
Second do you have a static IP
Third, Do you Own a Domain Name?
Fourth, on your Win2K Server do you have IIS running?
Fifth, Do you intend to Run SSL?
Start by answering these, then we can look into the actual set up.

It's four static ip's through an already subneted dsl router.
IIS is running
Should I run SSL? and if so what are the advantages and disadvantages.
Yes to the domain name. Let everything that have breath praise the Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back