Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hey all, I got an old 233 wih 32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaystd

Technical User
Aug 26, 2002
CA
Hey all,

I got an old 233 wih 32 mb of ram from a friend and decided i would redo the HD to make it a erver for my site. so i redid it but now it goes through the first two screens then shows a single line on the third "PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT". if i try to boot from the cd-rom it reads and then says "Invalid system disk, replace, then hit enter" or soemthing close to that. and if i have a floppydisk in nothing happens. i have chnaged the cmos start ups and right now i just formatted it on my main computer by plugging it in as a slave drive, is this bad to reformat on the undisarable computer. I have also copied the files from the start up disk to the HD. i want 98 se on it.

Any help?

Not sure what "redid it" means but if you deleted to partition you must create a new one. And if you want to install an OS you must make the partition active. After that you must format the partition. Then you can install the OS.
Either use a floppy made from the Start Up Disk page of Add Remove Programs, by booting to the floppy and and A: type Format C:/s (formats and transfers the system files) or boot from the CD ROM (make the change in BIOS)with no floppy inserted. You will be prompted for format.

pc.gif

Jomama

probably best to do the format and load the system on the machine you are installing on. Most of the time it works OK, but once in a while you get glitches.
Before you get too involved with the OS on the hard drive, get the floppy working.
Try for a boot floppy, get one that matches the level of 98 you are installing.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I cant boot from the CD-rom it says "Replace disk, with sysytem disk and hit enter to rety" and when i try to boot from Floppy nothing happens. i know what to do after i get to the prompt screen i just can get there.

can you get to the CMOS setup screen. Ususally the delete key, but can be others.
Can you see a post screen telling you how to get to setup?

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back