Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hex function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courtney1306

Programmer
May 30, 2007
US
I have a file in excel with two columns of hex numbers. I need to change them all to decimals. The code works when I use a specific hex, but when I try to search the field it prints all 15's from first column when they should be 0. The second column is also wrong. Can someone help?!

open (E, "RETURNCAL3.csv") || die ("Could not open file!");

while ( $file = <E> ) {
@field = parse_csv($file);
chomp(@field);

$i_test = hex("field[1]");
$q_test = hex("field[2]");
$mag_test= sqrt(($i_test**2)+($q_test**2));
print "$i_test, q_test, $mag_test \n";
}

close E;

you have a missing $
Code:
print "$i_test, q_test, $mag_test \n";
should be
Code:
print "$i_test, $q_test, $mag_test \n";

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[noevil]
Travis - Those Who Say It Cannot Be Done Are Usually Interrupted by Someone Else Doing It; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

Yes, I saw that, and my other problem was a missing @ before field. Thanks for you help.

Are you using Text::CSV in there (I'm trying to figure out where parse_csv is coming from).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[noevil]
Travis - Those Who Say It Cannot Be Done Are Usually Interrupted by Someone Else Doing It; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

I'm actually changing some code which was given to me. I did not write that part, but there is a sub class used to define the parse function instead of using the whole module.

travs69 said:
Are you using Text::CSV in there (I'm trying to figure out where parse_csv is coming from).

She's still using the "roll your own" solution provided by Hemo in this thread, even though we advised her not to:
Shrug. Some people just don't know good advice when it's offered unfortunately.

- Miller

I have no control over what the company wants to use. I am using that for a specific reason. Thanks for the help.

I suspect that the most relevant reason is simple inertia. Once you make a decision, it is often difficult to change it no matter the argument reasoning.

Anyway, I'll refrain from any more preaching. You've heard all of our advice in the earlier thread.

- Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back