Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hex code translation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbasaur

Technical User
Aug 13, 2012
US
Hey everybody! Nice to be back again.......sort of. I have an Opt 81C with hex codes of 88 8 on CPU 0 and 88 2 on CPU 1. The good book of Nortel hex codes says I have issues with SDI ports......you guessed it 8 and 2. My question is this: How do I decipher what exactly the codes are pointing to as an issue in my PBX? Is there a LD I can go to and print it out to find the information, or is this something that was documented upon installation and currently resides nowhere. When in doubt, I trace it out. Physical connections don't lie, however, I use that as a last resort. I wish to work smarter, not harder.

Thanks to all techs in advance,

Herbasaur

Oh boy, those are old processors. You may want to consider an upgrade.

Not an option. The budget from the powers that be will not even consider it. We are stuck with bubble gum and bailing wire from now until crash time. Just would like to know where to start looking. Do you think the SDI ports refer to the DNUMs possibly?

First you need to figure out where TTY Ports 8 and 2 are and if they are in fact even in use. They could be on a paddle board or an SDI card. The DNUM's refer to the card and port #. So a paddle board could be assigned DNUM 2 with either 2 or 4 ports depending on the board. The SDI card is also assigned a DNUM as well as are the CPU's. I would print out the ADAN info and see if you can tell what they are used for.

Yeah, I've done that. The information is very general. ADAN printout for one SDI port says 1200 Maint and the other is TTY 15 - an ehternet connection. TTY 15 I'm not so worried about, we have another that is working. Who knows what device MAINT 1200 is. I do know this. IODU\C 0 is not working and I have no disk redundancy. I've stated everything (CNIs, CPUs, IOPs), the whole works. The only thing I see disabled is CMDU 0. I can't bring it up. When I perform an EDD, it scrolls through the data files being backed up, however, it does not show backing up to disk B1 (floppy) nor does it state data dump complete. It just stops at the record count. From watching the process, it appears to me that neither floppy is backing up, even with the cores switched. Also appears that the HD in core 0 is not working as well. I have determined that the whole IODU\C in core 0 is not communicating. I'm thinking the SDI HEX codes are pointing to this issue, although I'm not 100 percent sure.

So KCFLHRC, do you know the procedures to remove and re-install the IODU\C? Nortel troubleshooting book says to just pull it out and re-install it. Yeah, right. The procedures for replacing an IODU\C seem to be more appropriate to me. At least is has you switching everything over to the active core (CMDUs, CPU, Clock). Have you removed and re-installed an IODU\C?

I have not worked o n an IODU/C for so many years I would just be guessing. I may have some old books around but if I recall it is a series of flipping switches to lock it down to one particular CPU and then you would just install the software on the new IODU/C and flip the switches to make it redundant. I would make damn sure you have a good backup before you start any procedure.

Ahhhhh, but there in lies the problem. Neither floppy on core 0 or core 1 is working. The only backup I see happening is on the core 1 HDD. I want to lock down core 1 (active) in maint mode, then try to get the IODU\C for core 0 working with a remove and reseat procedure first, if possible.

After you log in without going into any load type enlt, that is the old command for enable tape but works on the floppy drives also. Then do the edd and see if that works.

Tried that, no luck. That does work on my XT PBXs however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back