Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hewlett Packard Recovery Disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

saimon00

Technical User
Dec 4, 2001
ES
I own an HP Pavillion AMD 1GHZ etc etc.
With the Pc came 2 recovery cds.
On these cds are Windows millenium, Adaptec Easy CD creator, windows movie maker, Microsoft works suite, and much more! Is there any way to extract these programs from the image files in the cd. Most of them are .PAQ files in amongst file extensions, and some of them are hidden files. I know that taking an image file such as "Image.CCD"
is the clone cd image file, and when burned onto a CD in reproduces all the files files and folders as was before I created the image file. Is there such a program for .PAQ files, which I believe are Compaq image files.
I know they must be able to be read as when reinstalling with the recovery disks the PC reads the CDs and puts them on the computer!!
Can anybody help.

I hope to get some news from this one!!! I have an HP pavilion 7840, the disk was reformated along the way and I beleive the OS was as well.

problem...Win ME does not recognize the hp cd-writer plus installed, it automatically installs a Mitsumi CD reader. Can I read the and copy the instal program for the writer from the hp recovery disk??

More or less for the same reason, i need to extract data from this cd, as my DVD software has gone berserk and i could do with reinstalling it. If you get any more help, please let me know.

Saimon...are you using an HP system running a Compaq CD install, or is the .paq filename just a guess?

Compaq DOES use .paq as filenames, but it also means something else as a filename. We need to know what disk you've installed Windows with.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

windows boots its self up on its own recovery disk supplied by hewlett packard. Within this disk is encrypted all the programs that are commonly used by the user, such as winDVD, moviemaker etc etc. The thing is that my WINDVD has packed up and refuses to read DVDS. so i want to reinstall WIN DVD without having to reinstall everything off the recovery disk, hence losing everything off the hard drive.

I think you are all screwed, Compaq has a true restore disk, that means the only way is to overwrite stuff, you might want to see if the have an option for selective install if you do you can isntall just that program, I heard that some compaq restore has this features, Also some Compaq restore use files from the hard drive, see if you have another partiton and check there to see if you can get the program out of that partition.

ive been looking for an extracting tool for the paq files also......strangest thing though...i got a.paq to open with winrar

Good day kind people...

These *.paq files on the Hewlett Packard ME CD's are infact just renamed .zip files. They are password protected and so far after running a password recovery tool on them I have yet to find the password.... I wish to take out the Adaptec Easy CD Creator for my Dad without formatting and installing ME (I currently have Xp so I dont want to downgrade just to gt the software). If anybody finds a password retreiver or a paq opener or some other method of Opening and extracting files from these I would greatly appreciate it (and so would my dad)

cheers

ClontarfX

ClontarfX

yes to open the .PAQ files they are simply zips
( copy and rename to zip and decompress)
and as for the password.
i found that the HP Pavilion recovery CD's .PAQ files password is: pandora
and you can the decompress PAQ's A-G ! ;-)
best of luck

Thankyou MaeMan!! Ive been dying to get the password for these, using almost all the password recovery programs I could find. But you've ut out all the work for me! Thank you very very very much

* Proceeds to extract Easy CD Creator :p

ClontarfX
(yeah i messed up my handel to MaeMan last time lol stupid G missing)
glad i could help
i'm just having problems extracting stuff from the folders
A-G is alot of PAQ/ZIP's to go through
and i went to the F.PAQ
F\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
and tried to use the setup.exe to reinstall ME
and it installed and gave me a DRIVER error, wouldn't even boot after installing lol.
so i think i'm missing stuff, need other files extracted
but from what PAQ to goto !? lol that's the only problem w/ these recovery CD's .. sooo many folders so little time ;-)
so if anybody would like to help it would be greatly appreciated ~ MageMan@aol.com

Well.. I'm currently trying to develop a SMART recoverysystem for these lousypieceofcrap recovery CD's..

If you want to get a file that extracts JUST the WinME cabfiles without crappy drivers from HP then goto and send me a mail!

The Pavilion System Restore is in my eyes THE most crappy piece of shit I've ever seen..

It took me like 0.2s to extract the password from the "protected" zip archives..

And btw.. The only thing this damn CD does is format your harddrive, unzip a WHOLE windows installation and then does a bunch of renaming.. Bout it.. Runs a few python/TCL scripts before the "Out of the Box Experience" (OOBE).

Nothing fancy about it at all...

Anyways.. Send a mail if you want to get JUST the install files without crappy drivers..

// Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back