Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hewlett Packard Disaster Recovery don't work in WinMe

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwunder

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
GB
I have created a disaster recovery disk with HP's disaster Recovery software under Windows ME. When I boot to floppy disk 1, I am presented with the Windows Milennium Startup Screen, giving 4 choices :-
1) Help
2) Start with CD support
3) Start without CD support
4) Minimal boot

No matter what option I choose, I am then presented with the following error.

WINDOWS XMS DRIVER VERSION 3.95
EXTENDED MEMORY MANAGER SPECIFICATION (XMS) VERSION 3.0

ERROR : AN EXTENDED MEMORY MANAGER IS ALREADY INSTALLED.
XMS DRIVER NOT INSTALLED.

This also locks the system, until I press the restart button

I am never prompted to insert the second floppy disk or to type RECOVER as I did under W98. I have all the latest program updates installed from the HP site, but it has made no difference.

What do I need to do to resolve this matter. It is urgent as I have a lot of critical data on the recovery disk I have created.

Please help

kwunder

On the floppy disk, open the file CONFIG.SYS using NOTEPAD.
Delete the line:
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS

That should fix your problem.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

John

John,
No luck. I deleted the line, saved, booted, made the choice of "With CD support", hit enter, the floppy chugged for a second then just froze.

kwunder

Post the contents (cut and paste from notepad) of the config.sys file and autoexec.bat from the floppy. Maybe we can figure it out.
The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back