Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HEWLET PACKARD 8565C="LOOKING FOR A NEW BIOS"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codecracker

Technical User
Apr 22, 2003
BY
I own an HP 8565c. I want a BIOS update. There is one at the HP website but it is more than a year old. My board is an ASUS.

Here is my Board info:

Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product Name Kestrel
Serial Number MB-1234567890
Version REV 1.xx

My current BIOS is:

Vendor Award Software, Inc.
Version 1.16
Release Date 04/17/00
Start Address 0xF0000
ROM Size 256

ADDITIONAL INFO:

BIOS Manufacturer: Award Medallion BIOS V6.0
BIOS ID: 04/17/2000-VT693-596A-PELICAN
BIOS Date:04/17/00
BIOS OEM Signon : 1.16
BIOS ROM Size : 256K
Chipset : VIA 82C691 rev 66
Super I/O Chip : SMC 70x or 80x rev 1 found at port 3F0h

Can someone help me out here?

thanks

On a brand name machine I would not use anything but the bios supplied by the manufacturer otherwise you may invite trouble you really don't want. What is the reason you want an update anyway?

What size is the hard drive that came with your computer?

What size is the hard drive that you want to install?

Your motherboard uses a VIA Apollo Pro Plus chipset.
You can find more info here:

Your motherboard is either an ASUS P2V (ATX) or P2V-B (Baby AT).
You can find more info here:

Compare your motherboard to the pictures at the websites above to determine which one you have.
The latest BIOS updates for either of these boards is older than the one you currently have.

More than likely HP wrote their own BIOS modifications for your motherboard. System manufacturers, such as Hewlett Packard, very often do that.
You currently have the latest BIOS revision (ver.1.16) for that board. Although, the date of your BIOS is one month older than the one listed on HP's website.

HP offered a 20GB hard drive as an option with the Pavilion 8565c. They also offer a 30GB hard drive as a replacement.
So, if there is a hard drive limitation it has to be at least 32GBs.

If the drive you are attempting to install is smaller than 32GB, then you probably don't have a problem with the BIOS. More than likely you have some other issue causing the problem.

If the drive is larger than 32GB then you will have to contact HP's Technical Support to determine if the BIOS supports that size hard drive.

Motherboard and system manufacturers do not continue to make BIOS updates available indefinitely. So you may just have to go with what is available for your system.

If you need more help, give me more information about your specific problem and I will try to help.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back