Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Here's an IDE for Ruby - Do you know of any others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustKIDn

MIS
May 6, 2002
US
I was just poking around the net today and found FreeRIDE!

Has any one heard of FreeRIDE yet?
Do you know of any other IDE's for Ruby?
I think a good IDE is just what Ruby needs for a good bump start. What do you think?

Some of FreeRIDE's features include:

* Multi-file editing
* Syntax highlighting
* Auto-indenting
* Source navigation by module, class, method, etc.
* Integrated debugging
* Written in Ruby for easy extension

Some planned features include:

* Full internationalization
* High-end refactoring support
* Remote pair programming

It looks like there's a lot of good info about FreeRIDE at this site. I haven't seen enough yet to formulate an opinion. But what I have seen so far looks nice. Just thought I'd share this right away at Tek-Tips with you all.

tgus

That sounds really cool! I'll have to check that out! A buddy of mine where I work is also into Ruby, sadly though, I haven't had much time to get into it, as I wish I had. The remote-pair-programming feature sounds REALLY cool!
I'm getting into Xtreme Programming, and really think the idea of pair-programming is a smart one.
I'm sure my buddy will hop on with wagon with me, and I'll get to test that out while we learn Ruby.

Thanks for the info!

Oh, but in response, I haven't used any IDE's at all lately. I'm a Vim man. ;)

Jim

Hi Jim,

I haven't heard from you in a while. Seems you've been fairly quite around here lately. Your new job must be keeping you pretty busy. [wavey]

I thought you might be interested to know, I also found this one called RDE (Ruby Development Environment);

It also looks pretty impressive. Although I haven't looked very close at it yet.

tgus

You are right tgus, I visit pretty rarely. Work keeps me really busy. To be honest, my job has almost taken the fun out of computers. :(

Anyways, it's good to see I wasn't forgotten!

Thanks for being part of the Ruby forum. It'll be neat to see it when Ruby becomes main stream.

--jim

Actually, the URL works in both posts, above. Something in this sites logic is masking the URL string. Let's see what happens if I unclick "Process TGML" and "Emoticons/Smileys" in the message editor.

John Tobler

Now the URL shows up correctly but is not an active link. It looks like Tek-Tips has a problem parsing URLs.

John Tobler

Hi!

I have to confess I'm a Textpad fanatic - I use it to compile/run python, perl, java, ruby, c, c++, and to do things like run Ant apps... I think it's great having "one-stop shopping" for compilation/interpretation... with some of the downloads available syntax highlighting is possible (python, ruby etc.) - making it even spiffier.

:)
dora c

There is an eclipse plugin for milestone8
maybe its worth a look

cu
Enno

I use Mondrian (
It is simple, clean, and is written in ruby. I have installed and used it on Linux (debian), and Windows (XP, and 2K).

Eclipse also has Ruby plug-ins.

I tried the ruby plugin for eclipse but did not really able to debug coorectly. I'm using RDE (Ruby Developpement Environment) which is a GUI Environment. Easy to use and install. Just add "-rubygems" to the debug command line in RDE.

Mat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back