Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Here is an easy one(I HOPE)! simple 56K/DSL trouble. PLEASE HELP!!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaddDog

Technical User
Jun 20, 2000
US
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;OK i am now currently running DSL through an PCI ethernet card. i have a internal 56k installed too. DSL is GREAT, BUT my 2nd OS (Operatring System) does not support it. I have one phone line that DSL runs through and that my 56k used to run through.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;when the DSL installer guy came and installed DSL he some how did something to the thing on the wall where you plug the phone line from your modem into. It now has TWO connectors to plug the phone line into!!! One is labled &quot;Voice and the other is &quot;DSL&quot;.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;HOE DO I CONNECT BOTH THE 56K AND DSL ON THE SAME LINE (NOT ONLINE AT THE SAME TIME) JUST THE CABELS)??????

DSL cannot be on &quot;the same line&quot; as your phone or your phone will not work.&nbsp;&nbsp;DSL is on <i>the same cable</i> within your house.&nbsp;&nbsp;Normal residential phone wiring actually has 4 wires (2 pairs).&nbsp;&nbsp;Only 1 pair is used for a phone.&nbsp;&nbsp;It sounds like your installer put the DSL on the 2nd pair, which is otherwise unused in most houses (unless they have 2 phone lines).&nbsp;&nbsp;If you remove the wall plate. I would guess that you would see the red and green wires (voice) going to one jack and the black and yellow (DSL) going to the other.&nbsp;&nbsp;You would simple plug your modem into the voice line. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

THANKS SOOOO MUCH. I did not want to disturb my dsl. THANKS!!!!!!

I live in Louisiana...and my DSL provider has to provide filters for my analog phone equipment (including my modem connections).&nbsp;&nbsp;When we got the filters on all the &quot;Voice&quot; jacks, there was less problems with both sides.&nbsp;&nbsp;Our dsl was g.lite specification....Don't know what you have or even if this matters, but if you have connection problems, you may want to ask your DSL provider about the filters. <p>Tom Whitehead<br><a href=mailto:twhitehead@commeq.com>twhitehead@commeq.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

DSL does run over the same pair (2 wires) as your voice conection, it just uses a much higher frequency to xmit the signal, the splitter you are refering to should also have a filter inline on the voice side, this is to keep the DSL and voice signals from interfering with each other.<br>MasterRacker you need to hone up on your DSL.

MaddDog what is the other O/S you are running? <p> fenris<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I concur harddrive, hence simoultaneous voice/data. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back