Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Here I am again - Windows 1 0 driving me nuts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmonett

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
FR
Okay, since September, I have bought a Windows 1 0 license for my desktop gaming rig, and now I have bought a new laptop that came with another Windows 1 0 license to replace the laptop I had since 2012.
Of course, something is driving me crazy. Both desktop and laptop are on the same 21H1 (19043.1348) version, but on the laptop, when I access my NAS, directory display is immediate even in a folder with 1000+ files. On my desktop, in any folder that holds more than 50 files I have to wait practically a minute before I have the full display.
WHY ? What is this problem that seems to simply not go away on the dasktop, whereas the laptop functions perfectly ? What bloody setting do have to check to remove this issue ?
I'm mad as a wasp's nest. Someone please give me a solution.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

@mikrom : Thanks for that link. Unfortunately, I followed and implemented quite a few of their solutions, but there is no change.
I won't bore you with a complete review of my actions compared to the list of possible solutions, let us just say that the one action that gave me a surprising result was
Code:
sfc /scannow
I wasn't expecting anything from it, but it dumped an 8MB log with over 45000 lines and declared that it had made some repairs.
Unfortunately, I am completely lost when I try to understand what exactly it is that it repaired and, in any case, that didn't solve my Explorer problem.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

@pmonett,
You shouldn't immediately type a command what you see anywhere in an article. Always research other sources first to find out what the command does and whether you really want to carry it out. As the proverbial saying - measure twice and cut once.

I have already solved some problems with windows settings by simply creating a new profile, as some problems with Windows could be caused by settings in your user profile.
You can try it too. Simply create a new local user account in your PC, switch to it and check whether you have the same problem or not. If you also have the problem in the new profile, then simply delete it again. If it helps then you have solved your problem, you can use the new user account and then delete the old one - after a certain period of time, after you have transferred files and settings from the old profile to the new one.

Pull up Google, search on information as to Windows SMB signing and another search on SMB protocol. Incorrect SMB signing settings can really mess up folder/file access

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

I wouldn't called that "solved". That is a work-around. Would NOT satisfy me. But not blaming the person suggesting it.

My thoughts exactly goombawaho, There is nothing wrong with a work-around if a solution cannot be found, but the two should not be confused.

Okay, a little update for anyone who's interested : I have solved the issue.
Not in the way I would have liked, because I still don't know what the problem was, exactly, but I have solved it.
Unfortunately, I solved it by breaking my PC. I was testing backup solutions for Windows 1 0. I tried EaseUS ToDo backup. I was confident in the product because I have used it extensively for many, many years. So I downloaded the latest free version and made a backup of my whole C: disk - not just the partition.
Obviously, to be sure a backup solution works, you need to test it, right ?
Yeah, well that's when the <ahem> hit the fan. Restoring from backup basically ruined my Windows.
So I had to reinstall from scratch.
Lo and behold, my Windows Explorer issues have disappeared, loading NAS folders is now immediate - as it should always have been.
Great. Problem solved, but I still don't know why and I still have to find a valid backup solution.
Windows. The poison ivy that never stops poisoning.

I'm glad your problem is solved. That is Chinese software you are using. I wouldn't use it for my backup for many reasons which I won't enumerate unless asked. Macrium Free or for me, paid version.

Second thought - if you don't have a backup scheme set up that you can actually use to recover in a bare metal situation, you need to keep trying until you do. Always test with a spare hard drive as it gives full CYA and demonstrates bare metal recovery in the purest form.

>a Synology DS414j
I guess the DS414j doesn't come bundled with Synology's various backup solutions

Try typing Windows 10 instead of the way you do it. It's very weird/annoying. I changed from typing e-mail to email but I overcame my addition to the hyphen. YOU can conquer the extra space!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back