Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hercules geforce mx2 32mb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titanrah

Technical User
Jan 14, 2001
US
Ive just installed my hercules mx2 32mb vid. I have open caldera, and of course caldera doesnot respond to the vido card, Just getting all kinds of wierd lines and mixed colors. Could some one please help me in the steps of getting the driver in.

I have open linux also, and I installed linux with my old pci card. Unfortunately, getting my hercules card to work I found out would be quite difficult. If you go to the nvidia web site and go to the linux drivers page, you can find out how to get the card working. Not only do you have to install and configure the nvidia stuff, you also have to install XFree86 v4. (I think open linux 2.4 only comes with 3.x).

For anyone else -> is XFree86 v4.x the only version that works with AGP? Or is there currently a distribution that will work with AGP cards ray
rheindl@bju.edu

I used Xfree86 3.x for a couple of years with my AGP Imagine 128 card. I think its more an issue of specifically *which* cards are supported by XFree86.

One cool thing I have found: the new Linux "framebuffer" driver can make X work with cards that are not directly supported.

I wish I knew more about the inner workings of the framebuffer, but I have found that Slackware seems to have the most seamless way to use it. I have installed Slackware onto two laptops with unsupported video cards, and I was asked by the install dialog if I wanted to try the framebuffer, and lo and behold, it worked!

Solution: Upgrade to XFree86 4.0. I have my GeForce II MX working perfect with XFree86 4.0 -- 3D acceleration and everything. Flawless =)

yep, I got mine running a couple months ago. using XFree86 4 and the NVidia drivers. Nice, except for i had to manually edit the XFree86Config file in order to get things working ray
rheindl@bju.edu

Thanks all for all the help(FroggerIII). Everything works great.. ISSUE CLOSED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back