Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Helvetica font doesn't recognize ' ö ä ü etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

synno

Technical User
Dec 1, 2003
DE
I already posted this in a reply... sorry for repeating myself:

I have problems entering certain characters, including ' ä ö ü (yes, I work on a German version of Win XP, but with an English language version of FM 5.5). The encoding is fine in all installed fonts, apart from Times and Helvetica, which is the corporate font, so I need a solution.
Helvetica-Narrow, -Condensed work fine and the sample text in ATM Lite 4.1 (including the patch) also shows the appropriate characters. When I copy the file onto a W2000 platform and open it, I get an error message indicating unavailable character encodings, but the internal conversion then shows the correct rendering.
I've tried deleting the font and reinstalling, and also uninstalling ATM but with no luck. As I'm a user, not a programmer, I can't write any scripts, etc. I can't find any relevant info on the Adobe web site (which makes me think there was a problem with the installation, perhaps because I also have FM 7.0 installed). Any suggestions?
Thanks.

I've seen the same. When shifting the default printer into a PostScript printer (rather than the HP 4000 or 5000 PCL) the problem disappeared.

Keep smiling
thomas

Thanks for the tip, Thomas... but unfortunately my printer is set to Distiller already so that doesn't help.
Could it possibly have anything to do with the fact that the file was originally an FM 5.5 file, but copied into FM5.5+SGML? I've noticed that Symbol characters written in FM+SGML are transposed to ZapfDingbats in FM5.5 without any error messages appearing although both fonts are installed for both applications.
Nothing in life is ever so simple...

Synno

Check the Distiller PPD file. You might find that the font you're using is NOT in the PPD file.

If you have another PPD file that does have the font in quest, you can simply copy those lines into the Distiller PDD.

keep smiling
thomas

Thanks for the second tip, Thomas - but that also doesn't help. The distiller works properly with FM+SGML 6.0 and FM7.0, just not with 5.5. Courier is the default font specified in the PDD file - changing it to Helvetica, for example, has no effect. I could always remove Helvetica and substitute Arial, but when I do that and open the file(s) on another PC, I receive the message: "file uses unknown character encodings.... could result in nonsense text" (or something similar). Admittedly, the file seems to be OK, but when there are over 20 files in a book, it's a drag having to confirm the dialog for each file.
Sigh!

P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back