Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HelpFind.Info pop-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiwatt

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
With the latest iteration of IE 6.0 AND a pop-up stopper running, I STILL get these pop-ups with HelpFind.Info in the title bar. Where do they eminate from and can they be stopped? Am I missing a setting somewhere? They are a threat to all mankind.

It doesn't look like Messenger at all. When it happens, it pops a new browsers window with the URL that is something like blah blah blah. That window quickly changes to a smaller popup with the HelpFind.Info Title

With Spybot, use the Tools section. Have a close look at the BHO's listed and also the installed ActiveX components. Some of the info that it shows may require some additional research, but I'm suspecting an installed ActiveX application.

It seems I may have been a bit hasty checking out BHODemon.

I have now shut off all BHO's, deleted cache and cookies, closed and restarted the browser (IE6). I have been working for about an hour now and no sign of the dreaded HelpFind.Info popup. So it appears that the BHO's were the culprit.

hiwatt - it's worth a try see manarth's earlier post

Thank you everyone for the help!

see, and you almost reformatted your pc!

i'll be sure to keep that BHOdemon program of manarth's handy. looks to be very helpfull.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Never too old to learn as I sometimes say ;-)

hey don't thank me - I'm just the messenger!

thanks to all you guys on all the forums - I learn so much, and then get all the credit :)

the BHO titbit came from someone else...I've no idea where I saw it first though, but BHOs have been the malware of the week.

The malware / spyware FAQ has been submitted (may be a day before becoming available) - I warn you now, it basically consists of links to the DLs!

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

thats good enough though. thanks for doing that. maybe you should post it in other parts of this forum like &quot;internet service discussion&quot; and &quot;general virus discussion&quot;.

like i said the other day in a post, i believe that most internet problems now days are in fact from spyware and the such. i deal with them over the phone and on the bench day in and day out. thier getting alot worse than spamm has ever thought to be!! people are just now catching on to them. they will be the new buzz. agree?

&quot;Jack of all trades. Master of none.&quot;
[americanflag]

It amazes me that they can put this crap on your PC without any warning. It should get very interesting as this kind of activity picks up. :-(

Sadly, this has been going on for quite some time. The methods only get more subtle/sophisticated.

yeah, i wonder how many things you're installing when you order one of those &quot;video professor- learn the computer&quot; CD's that are for free? leave alone the AOL, Net-zero and the such. also all the big computer manufacturers out there like HP, Gateway and Dell. they love to get paid for adding software. i bet you there's going to be alot more of this crap being installed on thier pc's in the future. hell... maybe I should start looking into programming so I can get a piece of the &quot;screw the users&quot; action. :-0

&quot;Jack of all trades. Master of none.&quot;
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back