Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdruhl

IS-IT--Management
Jan 1, 2003
US
All,

I had a major problem with trying to upgrade from NT 4 to Windows 2003. Here are the details.

I had an existing NT 4.0 domain. I purchased a new server to run W2003. I installed NT 4 on my new server and made it a BDC. I loaded SP6. I then promoted the new server to be the PDC. I then upgraded the PDC to W2003. After it was done upgrading the OS it started dcpromo to install AD. I was given 3 options to choose from. I wasn't sure which one to pick so I called MS for support. This is the important part. My client has 100 PC'S running 2000 Pro and XP Pro. I did not want to mess around with changing the domain name because I did not want to have to touch all 100 PC'S and deal with joining a workgroup and then joining the new domain. The main reason for this is because then I have to copy the user's profile so they don't lose there favorites and desktop icons. When I spoke to MS about this they said there is no way to prevent touching all PC'S and copying the profile over. I find this very hard to believe. What would someone do if they have 5000 PC'S? Touch every one? I don't think so. Does anyone have a solution for this problem. I spoke to 3 MS engineers and they all say the same thing. Please HELP!!!!! Thanks

There is a migration tool provided by Microsoft. Here is the link to the website. It is geared for 2003 small business server but you should find the same tools in standard 2003 server. You will see an upgrade section for windows nt 4.0 and that is where you can get your migration word document. I know with a 2000 to 2003 migration you have to change the domain name but dont worry because the migration will run a program on each machine to make those changes and migrate the profiles over to the new domain so you wont have to do much to the machines (you may have to run this section multiple times if there are errors). And even once this is done you wont have to go to each machine because you can create a script to restart them when necessary. you still might want to log in as the users and make sure everything applied correctly.

Automatic restart batch file:

shutdown -r -m \\computername1 -t 30
shutdown -r -m \\computername2 -t 30
(r is for restart, t is for the amount of time untill restart and m you type the computer name)
just set up a batch file on your new 2003 server (list all your domain computers in it) then execute and they will restart.

Please let me know how this works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back